News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

24/7 news

Started by Towntalk, March 17, 2011, 01:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Rick Rowlands

Who watches TV news anymore? 

Towntalk

Point well take.

It's precisely why the print media is still vitally important component to being a well informed citizen.

In high school our teachers should stress the importance of newspapers.

Thanks to the Internet all of us have access to so many newspapers free of charge and by using such sites as newseum, and simply going through their FRONT PAGE page we can find many articles of importance that go unreported on TV.

For Ohio alone it has all the major Ohio newspapers covered ... Cleveland ... Youngstown ... Columbus ... Cincinnati ... Dayton ... Toledo ... and a number of the smaller papers.

If one were to simply go to the New York Times ... Washington Post and Los Angeles Times for national news and then the Plain Dealer ... Vindicator ... Columbus Dispatch all the bases could be covered and we would come away better informed than if we just relied in TV news.

jay

On the three major networks, you hardly see any more stories about Afghanistan.  I thought the war suddenly ended and no one told us.

Towntalk

SET ASIDE LIBERAL/CONSERVATIVE FOR A MOMENT AND ANSWER THIS SIMPLE QUESTION.

Are we being OD'd with 24/7 television news?
With the plethora of 24/7 cable news channels, all seeking to be top dog, are we really getting balanced news coverage like what we find in our daily newspapers?

Cases in point: CNN has the habit of minimizing other important news when a major story breaks as with the Japanese earthquake; the revolt in Egypt etc., and as a result we are missing other equally important news.

AGAIN LET ME STRESS THAT THIS IS NOT A LIBERAL/CONSERVATIVE QUESTION.

Personally I find myself spending no more than an hour watching cable news and spending more time going online to read the newspapers there, and the site that I go to each day is this one that gives me access to over 800 newspapers from around the world:

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/