News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Dennis And WKTL

Started by Towntalk, March 19, 2013, 08:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

A place to do the event that would allow for a record hop such as 20 Federal Plaza. As to the equipment, that would have to be taken up with WKTL as I don't know what their setup is for remotes.

Lyndz

what would they need to do a remote?

iwasthere

tt your idea is a grt one. this can concide with the annual fund raiser for wktl with patrons coming to the restaurant or calling on the phones with their pledges.

Towntalk

How about a WKTL Day at the downtown eateries with a portion of all sales going to WKTL that would feature Dennis spinning ethnic records in an old fashion record hop at one of the restaurants. If this is a success, then maby it could be an annual event.

Billy Mumphrey

I believe the Summit/WKTL spring membership drive will begin tomorrow.(Wedensday) I believe it would be nice for all new listeners to the station pledge a yearly membership of $60 ($5 dollars a month) to thank the Summit/Struthers Board of Education for saving this ethnic tradition in the valley.

Towntalk

I read somewhere that vinyl is making a comeback of sorts, and the article said that the sound quality is as good as digital, especially if played on a high end phonograph, coupled with high end speakers. I use to tape all my new records onto reel to reel tape at first play so that I would always have a scratch free version.

Given the state of radio broadcasting today I doubt that many stations will make the investment to air vinyl music.

Youngstownshrimp

I believe Dennis has finally found himself.
Remembering how often he and I fought on this sight, makes me believe that without a purpose and direction in our lives, we often times become belligerent.  We may delve into a world of digression and dispair.
I believe Dennis will no longer blog on this site as he once has, rightfully so, he now must fulfill a mission to make the old radio station a success.  Maybe he can add a little talk radio to his format and bring some of us outspoken ones in.

iwasthere

tt answer to your question, the ole fashion way by literally hands on the equipment. this past christmas he played an old wktl radio program from a tape cassette that was twenty yrs old. the sound quality was perfect very easy to listen.

Towntalk

With seven programs to plan for over a nine hour period, Dennis has his hands full in order to keep them fresh, and I certainly don't envy him. I noticed that much of the music is on vinyl, so I suspect either he or the station has quite a record library.

Most radio stations no longer have turntables to play records, and very few even have tape machines since they have switched to digital broadcasting. Those local stations that do play music get their material off CD's and feed them into a dedicated computer. I wonder how WKTL handles their Saturday programming.

jay

I was visiting a community project last Saturday afternoon  and noticed that a gentleman (about 30 years old) was listening to some ethnic music on the radio.  I asked what station he had on and he replied that he was listening to WKTL, 90.7 FM.

The Summit station holds membership drives from time to time.  Let's show our support for the Summit by supporting their programming efforts in the Mahoning Valley.
www.913thesummit.com/support.htm

Towntalk

Radio station carries on tradition in Struthers

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/mar/19/station-keeps-on-spinning/

Great going my friend.