News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New Unemployment Rate

Started by jay, December 23, 2009, 06:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

We have to innovate and create new industries and profit from them until government has a chance to catch up and regulate them out of existence, or make the price of admission so high that only the big money can participate.

Youngstownshrimp

Great Depression A Diary, of all the books that I have read about economics thru the decades, this book has opened my eyes the most on where we are heading.  And the diary was about Youngstown in the 30's.  Sadly, we are heading to complete third world status, I grew up in a third world country, I know it when I see it.
What to do?  innovate, we cannot recreate existing industry, our regulations render us uncompetitive.  Innovation, invention is the only way out.  Create industry wherein there is no competition.

Rick Rowlands

You know, every other corner of the country is also looking at green jobs to be their savior, and guess what, we will never be able to compete with much of the country. 

Towntalk

:) DITTO  :) to Allan's observation.

We can talk about Green Red Yellow and Blue jobs from here to eternity, but talk isn't going to put so much as a crumb of bread on a hungry child's plate, or a thread of clothing on their back.

We all know about the jobs that could be created through Green thinking ... certainly Dennis has kept us appraised of the possabilities, but who with the power to act on those possabilities around here is listening?

There aren't many Tod's, Wicks, Andrews, if any who are in a position to create new industries, and we simply can't expect Washington to step in and plunk down thirty bags of money and tell us to build a new company  and hire enough local folks so that the unemployment figures go down by a substantial number.

AllanY2525

Youngstown and Mahoning County need jobs, period.  I wouldn't care if they were
green, blue or even flaming pink... just get more businesses into the area, and the jobs
that come with them.

Single-payer health care doesn't put bread on the table. Get the jobs first, then
worry about how to pay for health care afterwards. If people have no jobs, how are
they going to be able to pay any kind of insurance premiums, public or not ?

Education funding is great - but where are our young people going to *work* after
they get out of school?  A great education, with no job opportunities to put it to
work at a job that pays a decent wage, is basically meaningless in the local area. 
If there are no decent jobs awaiting grads, they will simply look elsewhere - and leave
the area for better opportunities.

You can't blame the politicians for everything....although sometimes I myself would
like to... LOL

:)

Why?Town

In other words, Don't complain about the lemons you've been handed, make some green lemonade!

irishbobcat

All the more reason we need new blue-green jobs,companies, and industries to relocate in the valley.
All the more reason we need single-payer health system in place in Ohio.
All the more reason we need better education funding in place in Ohio.
All the more reason to vote for Green Party candidates in November 2010!

The current political leaders in Columbus and Washingron have dropped the ball.....

jay

The unemployment rate for Mahoning County has now risen to 13.2%.