News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Made in the Mahoning Valley

Started by Rick Rowlands, December 22, 2009, 04:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Where was the 100 ton ingot mold being shipped?

Could it have traveled by rail?

Youngstownshrimp

History tells us that unions were a good thing when new business had no competition and profits did not trickle down to labor.  History also tells us that management, stockholders and unions can suck the life blood out of a company wherein it no longer can compete until the business dies from within.

In today's global economy, if you wish to be a worker, teacher, doctor, engineer, etc., your wages are now based on the same wages abroad.  This is free enterprise, this is what we taught the world, this is what our fathers died for.

tony

Non union people are not scabs. Union supporters are not scabs.

Strike breakers are scabs.
Worker that cross picket lines while union workers are on strike are scabs.

"After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad and the vampire,
he had some awful stuff left with which he made a scab. 
A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a waterlogged brain,
and a combination backbone made of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts,
he carries a tumor of rotten principles......Judas Iscariot was a
gentleman compared to a scab. For betraying his master he had the
character to hang himself- the scab hasn't. There's nothing lower than
a scab! "           Jack London
With Respect and Cheers,
Tony Budak
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonybudak

Rick Rowlands

I despise union supporters, because they just don't support union workers, but have a loathing, vile contempt for non union people.  They call them scabs and far worse, and have such disdain for those people that they want to see them lose their livelihoods.  (The UFCW and Mr. Nemenz for example).   I think a unionist would treat a stray dog with more kindness than a fellow human who just happens to not have a percentage of his pay forcibly taken away every month in dues. 

AllanY2525

I've always had mixed feelings about labor unions... they can be both good and
bad at the same time.  I worked in a union shop for about 6-1/2 years, and our
union at the time was totally l-a-m-e.

The only thing my union was good for was taking a part of my monthly salary
for union dues - no benefits, etc and they seldom went to bat for the employees,
especially where pay and benefits were concerned.

As far as buying things made locally, I would consider both the cost of the item(s)
and the quality of the materials and workmanship that went into them.  I probably
wouldn't have any particular preference as to whether the item(s) were made by
either union or non-union labor.  It's about supporting local businesses and their
employees, not their labor unions.

Towntalk

If Joe Jones Hardware Store is selling a beginners tool kit made in USA with union labor at $250.00 and Sam Smith is selling a beginners tool kit made in the USA with non-union labor at $175.00 ... both identical in contents ... which kit would you buy?

Rick Rowlands

Are only union made American products worth purchasing?

BTW that ingot mold was made by 100% non union labor. 

iwasthere

check at the www for products made in usa with the union label.

Rick Rowlands

They have been making molds there continuously since 1927, and now have expanded into large castings for other industries. 

iwasthere

its a beginning for mahoning valley's recovery.

Rick Rowlands

Here is a brand new 100 ton ingot mold leaving Ellwood Engineered Castings in Hubbard this morning.