News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The $2,500 Sign

Started by jay, October 30, 2009, 06:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

iwasthere

sfc_oliver

Short and to the point, Read the Duelfer report and it will open some eyes. And we actually purchase 4% of our IMPORTED oil from Iraq. That would be less than 2% of what we use. I think it would have been easier to drill in Anwr. Now what was the topic of this thread again? 

Penguins37

I'm glad to see we stayed on topic.

iwasthere

i bet that report was written by the helburton corp chairman dick cheney assoc. i have moved on by electing a pres that does not believe in the guns and butter policy to make things happen in this country. where are the wmd? we had eight years to find them with all the explosions going on in that country you would think we would have had atomic mushroom cloud. sarge do you believe bush and cheney and rumsfield was telling the truth? or are we over there to increase the profits of the oil companies?

sfc_oliver

Oh please I could write a book about the so called lies, read the Duelfer report and move on.

iwasthere

Quote from: sfc_oliver on December 09, 2009, 10:52:34 AM
The point is exactly that...TEMPORARY.....this stimulus is not creating long term jobs.

The Government cannot create jobs in the private industries by spending money on temporary projects, or by throwing money that we don't have at anything for that matter. So why waste more money on temporary signage? Politics.......

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE ON THIS SENSELESS WAR THAT THE EVIL OF AXIS(BUSH,CHANEY AND RUMSFIELD) STARTED WITH LIES THAT IS COSTING THE USA TAXPAYERS OVER $20BILLION TO DATE. THERE WASN'T AND NEVER WAS WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT KIND OF SOCIAL PROGRAMS OR SMALL BUSINESS LOANS THAT COULD HAVE USED THESE MONIES TO HELP THE CITIZENS OF USA. INSTEAD OF STRANGERS. WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE OR SHOULD I SAY WHERE SHOULD WE PUT THE OUTRAGE IN THIS COUNTRY?

sfc_oliver

Quote from: Penguins37 on December 08, 2009, 07:56:46 PM
All construction work is only temporary.  Why is it okay to provide work to pavers and concrete companies and not to sign makers?  What is the root of your complaint, the fact that the ARRA program was enacted or the fact that signs were required on site?

The point is exactly that...TEMPORARY.....this stimulus is not creating long term jobs.

The Government cannot create jobs in the private industries by spending money on temporary projects, or by throwing money that we don't have at anything for that matter. So why waste more money on temporary signage? Politics.......

Penguins37

Jay, in response to your comments; the City cannot reuse the signs because it doesn't own them.  That being said the contractor can reuse them as many times as he wants provided they meet the spec for each project.

I don't know who you spoke to you but apparently you got incorrect information.

Penguins37

The signs are a bid item in the construction contract.  Pursuant to the spec for the signs they are the contractors property upon completion of the project; thus, they can reuse them on another project.  Then when they are reused on the next ARRA project they work on they won't be paid bid an amount for the purchase of the sign, rather they would simply bid an amount to furnish the sign in place.  You have to understand that the bid amount of one of these signs will likely be spread over multiple projects in the long run.  Does that make sense?

Also the bid amounts for these signs has been uniform for what you expect for a sign of it's size and construction.  Contrary to popular belief the public isn't actually getting ripped off for the price of these signs.

Why?Town

Quote from: jay on December 08, 2009, 09:52:50 PM
No signs made by a city's own sign shop   ???

Why would they care if they use locally made signs? The work being done on 680 isn't a local company but they do have a sign.

jay

I recently asked if the signs from one city's completed project could be used by other city for their project.  I was told the answer is NO.  Each project must buy its own official signs. 

No sharing of signs
No signs made by a city's own sign shop   ???

Penguins37

All construction work is only temporary.  Why is it okay to provide work to pavers and concrete companies and not to sign makers?  What is the root of your complaint, the fact that the ARRA program was enacted or the fact that signs were required on site?

sfc_oliver

Quote from: Penguins37 on December 07, 2009, 05:27:38 PM
So what is wrong with providing work to sign making contractors?  It should also be noted that the $2500 price was not how much they decided to spend on the sign, rather, it was the contractors bid to make the sign based on the labor and material involved in the construction of the sign.  Also, it is imperative to understand that the signage requirements associated with the ARRA funds is actually quite similar to the requirements associated with other funding requirements.  For instance, projects funded by the OPWC also require project signage.  Everyone always wants to complain about the ambiquity of government funding but when the government tries to make things as transparent as possible with big signs people still complain.

What is so difficult to understand? These signs are nothing more than more money spent that we do not have, on nothing more than a temporary job. Temporary being the key word. Government spending does not create permanent or long term jobs in the private sector.

Penguins37

So what is wrong with providing work to sign making contractors?  It should also be noted that the $2500 price was not how much they decided to spend on the sign, rather, it was the contractors bid to make the sign based on the labor and material involved in the construction of the sign.  Also, it is imperative to understand that the signage requirements associated with the ARRA funds is actually quite similar to the requirements associated with other funding requirements.  For instance, projects funded by the OPWC also require project signage.  Everyone always wants to complain about the ambiquity of government funding but when the government tries to make things as transparent as possible with big signs people still complain.