News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Apple Juice

Started by Towntalk, October 09, 2007, 11:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Thanks Jay. I do 90% of my shopping at Union Square Sparkle, but like many other people, I don't look that closely to the labels. By the way, the folks at the Union Square Sparkle are really great people, and that is why I give them most of my business. For some reason, my food dollar goes much further at Sparkles than Giant Eagle. I tried Save-A-Lot, but was not keen on the quality of their canned goods and produce, but then you only get the quality in what you pay for.

jay

I shopped at a Sparkle Market today.  Their apple cider was from West Seneca, New York.

Towntalk

Thanks Rick.

I really love hot cider with a cinnamon stick in the fall. It's been a family tradition that goes way back.

My grandmother had an apple orchard and would make her own cider as well as apple sauce that was absolutely fantastic.

Rick Rowlands

Whitehouse Fruit Farm makes cider from their own apples.  However I prefer Haus Cider Mills cider.  Haus is only a few miles from Whitehouse.  Have two gallons in the fridge right now.   Both will have cider year round unless they run out.  They freeze most of the production and thaw as needed.

A couple miles from Haus is the Less and Less Farms.  You can pick your own apples there.  You pick the type of apples you want, they give you bags and take you out to that area of the orchard on a wagon pulled by a tractor.  Then you pick to your hearts content.  Only 49 cents a pound.

I really can't say who might have the cider locally.  Perhaps Nemenz does.  I've seen Haus cider once at a Giant Eagle, but they normally sell some other brand (which tastes bad to me).

I have 4 gallons of apple juice from Sams in the basement that is labeled made from juice from Argentina and China. Its still beter than drinking soda.

jay

Our area has many apple growers.  When I shop, I usually buy apples that were grown in Trumbull, Mahoning or Columbiana counties.  I'll check for the the origin of apple cider the next time I'm in a store.

For the good of our local economy, we should make another list of locally made products and foods.

Towntalk

This evening on a news report it was revealed that most of the Apple Juice in our supermarkets comes, not from U.S. orchards, but from China.

Is there anywhere here in the Mahoning Valley that one can get pure locally produced Apple Juice or Cider?

It's an outrage when our stores opt to peddle food products from China at the expense of local producers, and we should show our anger by refusing to buy food products from China given the fact that there are serious safety and health issues.

I know of Whitehouse that sells locally grown produce, but because I don't drive, I can't shop there, so if there is a store that is closer, to Youngstown where I can buy locally grown produce including Apple Juice, I would really like to know.