News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Giant Eagle to stop doubling coupons in our area

Started by connie254, September 06, 2007, 10:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leah

Quote from: shantrivialand on September 07, 2007, 07:12:13 AM
I try to shop at Rulli bros because I like their prices and their meat, but trying to take two small children into that store and wait in line for meat and cheese behind old people who murmur and complain about the shape of the turkey breast and then once decided only get 6 slices is more than I can handle most days.  I tried going after 7 the other night only to get there and find they were closed.  Maybe I will try to go when they first open and try that. 

Yes, Rulli Bros. deli with small children is more than MOST people can handle most days.  Too funny!  But they do have really good prices.  I can't believe they're that inexpensive. 

Going first thing in the morning is a good tactic.  Going on a Saturday is horrible.  The last time I went on a Saturday, it was unbelievable.  There was an elderly man in the produce dept. who couldn't get through (no one else could either, it was so crowded), so instead of waiting, or even saying excuse me, he decided the best way to get through would be to ram his cart into my butt until I moved, then repeat this technique with anyone else blocking his path.

I love Rulli's for lunch meat, cheese and produce.  Save-A-Lot for canned and dry goods.  The Meating Place on New Rd. is wonderful.  With this combination of stores, I feed a family of 4 for less than $80 a week.  And we love to cook, so we eat well.

our2cents

Rulli's may have been part of the power outage the other night.  The Kirk Rd hours are M-F 9-8 S 9-7 & Sun Closed.  South Ave is M-S 9-7 & Closed Sun.  They have the best meat prices & quality by far.  Their vegies and fruit are usually pretty decent on the prices and quality also.

We haven't been to Aldi's in a long time.  We used to buy canned stuff there, but now mostly eat fresh salads for a vegies.  Have they changed that much over the last several years?

The Wal-Mart in Austintown is in the process of building on a super center between them and Deals.  The only thing we really hate about Wal-Mart is how dang busy they always are.

shantrivialand

I try to shop at Rulli bros because I like their prices and their meat, but trying to take two small children into that store and wait in line for meat and cheese behind old people who murmur and complain about the shape of the turkey breast and then once decided only get 6 slices is more than I can handle most days.  I tried going after 7 the other night only to get there and find they were closed.  Maybe I will try to go when they first open and try that. 

I get a lot of my food at Aldi's.  I cannot believe how good most of their food is.  I am a stickler for good quality foods and I found most of their stuff as good or even better than the name brand.  Their cake mix is unbelievably good.  I get compliments on my cakes all the time and I make them for parties. 

I rarely shop at Giant Eagle.  I can't believe their prices.  Sometimes I get produce there, but that is about it. 
I mostly shop at Wal-Mart super centers which I can't believe our area doesn't have one.  How stupid of Wal-Mart. 

our2cents

Giant as in prices.  Everytime we go there, it costs us a heck of a lot more if we get anything but sale items with double coupons.  Maybe they're sick of people like us getting different things for 20-30 cents sometimes. 

Their site still has it posted that they do double with rules:
http://www.gianteagle.com/main/article7.jsp

IGA still doubles.  We tend to use Rulli's, IGA and Sparkle.  We follow the sales and coupons that double whenever we can.

connie254

They made it official citing "that's what the majority of our customers want".
My Sparkle ad doesn't mention double coupons and I don't get the IGA ad.
We definitely need some competition for "Big Bird", as I call the stores.
I routinely saved 30-45% with coupons. Columbus area still doubles and up to $2 at that during some weeks.  Guess the price of gas will have to be taken into account if I travel down there.