News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

JEDD, Any opinions?

Started by Mary, July 30, 2007, 11:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I read the Bricker memo. The problem with the CEDA is that no new revenue stream can be enacted. This may not be attractive to the both the city and the townships. Here is the link.

http://www.bricker.com/Publications/articles/774.pdf

Mary

Maggie,
Thank you so much! This will be a great addition to the paper! He needed alternatives to the JEDD.

Thanks again!

Maggy

Mary,

There is another option. It is a CEDA, or Co-operative Economic Development Agreement. It accomplishes the same thing, absent the "choke hold" tactic.

Your friend would be wise to research the comparison of the two done by Price Finley.Attorney Finley practices public finance and public law, with emphasis on economic development matters.

Speaking of public finance -there should be an audit of the water funds done prior to any agreement.

e-mail / pfinley@bricker.com

Mr Aytos

Here is a likely scenario. Boardman voters will reject their levy in November. This will force the trustees to reassess their opposition to the JEDD and approve the measure. They will negotiate with the city for more of the revenue pie by forgoing a reduction/elimination of the water surcharge.

Austintown, seeing how much additional revenue Boardman is receiving, will line up and accept the JEDD as well. They too will negotiate a larger deal with the city but instead of using the water surcharge as leverage, they will forgo all revenue on new business development on current undeveloped land.

IMO - The city screwed up by delaying the information to the townships. There is a lot of loose talk in the townships and misinformation is running rampant. Public opinion is against the JEDD because no one from the city has clarified its position. I have talked to my friends in the townships and they want no part of an income tax. When I explained to them that it will only cover business districts, they were more accepting of it since they would see reduced water rates and not have to pony up with an operating levy. This is the message the city has not conveyed in a meaningful way - yet.

jay

The mayors of Mahoning County's small cities held a meeting yesterday with John Boccieri.  One of the concerns expressed was the perceived influence of the city of Youngstown.  I don't see any situation in which outlying communities would be willing to work with the city.

Mary

OK everybody I would like your opinion on the JEDD that Mayor Williams has been talking about.

Do you think it's a good idea? if so why
Do you think its a bad idea? If so why?

I will admit that this is for a friend of mine that is writing a research paper for YSU and it is on the JEDD that is being considered for the area. The paper can (and hopefully will) contain residents opinions on the JEDD. And don't worry no one will be directly named in the paper! LOL.

Thanks if you take time to reply!