News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Festival Fighting

Started by Micky, June 25, 2007, 07:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jronjakoh

There are a Lot of folks that would not go anywhere without a gun if they had a license (what it is called in Ohio. Not a permit) I myself have a license and I carry a .40 cal.  The one place that we are Not allowed to carry a gun is in a church and anyplace thats serves beer ,for consumption,on site.

It takes idiots like this to mess up a good thing. Most of us carry for the protection of ourselves and our loved ones.NOT to try to be a cop.

If the site (festival) is posted ' no guns' then I would have to leave it in my car (locked up) and have to worry the whole time if it the car is broken into and the gun stolen.For those reasons alone I would not take my family to any of the festivals. Surely if they 'wand ' everyone i would set the alarm off.

I took the training (12 hrs) from a certified NRA trainer paid for by myself,Paid the fee for my license and had my background check done by the Criminal investigation Unit at the Sheriff's Dept.  So I feel I can be trusted as 'one of the Good guys" by the public. I have had my license for 3 years now and I still go to the range and retrain at least twice a month to make sure I can handle my gun safely. It takes idiots like these to make the good guys that are Concealed Carry look bad to the public.

For the young fella to have a license he must be 21 to apply. But he CAN own a handgun or rifle at 18 if a parent buys it for him.

For information you can log onto Ohioans for Concealed Carry.org  (or OFCC.Org)  for more information.
                                                                                    Ron

Micky

The Vindi online headlines/story today stated that the Boardman Police Chief will speak with St Luke's about security measures for their festival.  He stated that he'd like to scan festival goers with a wand. 

Doesn't that make people want to go to a festival?  I guess it's a sign of the times but it doesn't seem right.   

our2cents

We used to go to these festivals in the evening for the overall excitement that came with bright lights, laughter and happy people.  We haven't gone in a few years since we saw a definite change in the atmosphere at night.  It seems like there are many people going to do nothing more than look for trouble. 

So, now we'd stop and pickup some funnel cake during the day, to get part of the fun.  But, if they're going to make it pay to get in...then stopping even during the day to only get funnel cake....is not worth the effort or extra cost.  What a shame.   :( 

Micky

I read that the fight was between 2 rival gangs.  I wonder if they were wearing their "colors" & if so, could they have been denied access to the festival in the first place? 

It used to be enjoyable going to festivals.  But if we have to be on guard at a church festival, I don't think we'll be going anymore unless it's in the daytime.

Oldmill

I haven't been to St,Christine's festival in a few years and that reason being the roving bands of youths ! The last time I was there they were very rude, bumping into myself and my wife and then looking at us as if we did something wrong.  , there was so much RF in the air from all the cell phones you could have lit fluorescent light bulbs just holding them in the air. We used to go there every year, not anymore ! I think even with a fee I wouldn't go , I would worry about my vehicle getting broken in to.

jay

There are two area festivals this weekend.

The Campbell City Festival in Roosevelt Park

St. Christine Festival, S. Schenley at Canfield Road, on the west side of Youngstown

Towntalk

As far as I kow, a 16 year old would N E V E R be issued a concealed carry permit!

The gun was no doubt stolen!

Furthermore NO REPUTABLE GUN DEALER would ever sell a hand gun to a 16 year old unless that dealer wants HARD TIME IN PRISON!!!!!

This dude was no doubt a member of one of the local gangs and deserves to be horse whipped with a good old fashion Black Snake Whip!

jay

I believe the Our Lady of Mount Carmel festival on the near north side has been charging an admission fee for years.  Does charging an entrance fee curtail attendance overall?

On the TV news tonight, the priest from St. Luke Church on South Avenue in Boardman claimed that his festival will charge the $3.00 fee to enter.  These festivals are usually family events.  What will children be charged?

Question
Did the youth with the gun have a concealed carry permit?  I hope he is prosecuted to the full extend of the law.

Micky

Saw on the news that a 16 year old Youngstown youth dropped a loaded 40 caliber gun during a fight at St Charles festival last night.  A female was also arrested.

Last year there were large gangs going to each festival causing problems by fighting and scaring people.

A local church said they are going to have a surcharge of $3.00 per person and have a large fence to stop people from entering without paying.

Is this out of had or what?  We go to festivals to help the churches while having a little fun in the meantime.  Why should church members (who have already donated festival supplies, money, and volunteer time) have to pay a surcharge?  Why aren't there enough police officers hired to stop gangs of troublemakers from causing havoc?   Another fun event will probably cease to exist soon because of terrorists.  What else can they take away from us while we keep giving them more freebies?