News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Towntalk, August 07, 2015, 12:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Allan: See private message.

Thank all of you for allowing me to vent my spleen here, all of you are a great group of people. If I had a companion to unload on I would not do it here I assure you. This morning when I turned on my computer and came on the Internet everything worked as it should and in fact a little better. Let me say this, I fear new things, and I am comfortable with the older things that I have used lo these 10 years or so no, I lie, it was longer than that because my very first computer was a Vic-20 that I picked up used in about 1990 and I progressed from there slowly until I finally got my first real computer, a Packard Bell 386. I can't tell you how many computers I went through over the years before I got my very first brand new out of the box PC and finally was able to really surf the Internet. If I'm not mistaken I was using IE-9 for several years before after wearing out my umpteenth computer I finally had a Vista OS computer, and now I'm told that soon it will no longer be supported and I'll have to go to Windows 10 and I do not like the Windows 10 desktop one bit.
I'm old, I'm fixed in my ways, I don't like having to spend hours, days or weeks learning new stuff. I'm a simple soul that is content with simple things, yet every time I turn around new stuff is coming out and people and businesses jump on the bandwagon and leave simple folks like me behind. So there you have it, and now I'll go over to my facebook page to see how many likes my latest posts have gotten, then clean out my two mailboxes, grab a fresh cup of coffee and do all the nice things that a little old lady does on a Friday morning.

AllanY2525

Towntalk,

What is the exact make and model of your computer... I have an idea that can help
you, but would need the help of someone there in Youngstown that could assist me
in upgrading you to a faster computer - WITHOUT having to back up and re-copy all
of your files.

I could find you another machine (which I would be willing to pay for) that is the
EXACT same make and model, used, on E-Bay (can get them cheap when they're
older machines).  When that machine arrives at my house, I can upgrade the
PC with faster processor, more memory, etc if your make and model is upgradable
(and almost all of them are).

I could ship the PC to you in Youngstown, and all we would need is for my helper
at your end to take the internal drives from the old pc and stick them in the
upgraded twin-sister machine.

You would not have to re-install Windows, you would not have to backup or
copy all of your files because you'd be using the same hard drives that you are
already using, just in a new "body".  A brain transplant, so to speak.

Moving your internal drives into the upgraded machine would take a few minutes
at most, and would only require a phillips screwdriver and someone with a little
basic knowledge on taking apart and putting together the pc.

Lemme know if you would be interested in doing this, I'd gladly do whatever
I can to help.

You said your best friend Bob knows how to tinker with PCs... could he move
the hard drive to the other computer for you?

Towntalk

My PROBLEM is that I ain't got anyone to come in and put this PC right ... the modum won't work, the disk drive won't work ... the BLOODY PC has an EXTERNAL MODUM ... AN EXTERNAL DISK DRIVE ... AN EXTERNAL BACKUP HARD DRIVE ... my internet freezes at least 5 times a day. I got IE7; Firefox (Newest version) Google Chrome for browsers but my IE7 gives me tizzy fits, but its the ONLY BLOODY BROWSER THAT HAS ALL THE FB PAGES I USE EVERY BLOODY DAY! While I'm happy that you folks have no problems with your PS or Windows 10, NONE OF YOU HAVE ANY ANSWERS THAT WILL HELP ME TILL I CAN GET A NEW BLOODY COMPUTER, NOR WOULD ANY OF YOU BE WILLING TO STOP OVER TO HELP ME TRANSFER THE THOUSANDS OF FILES THAT I HAVE ON THIS COMPUTER!

AllanY2525

I was pleased with the "minimum requirements" (Hardware) that Microsoft came up with for
Windows 10 - it will run on a lot of older laptops and PCs's.  Main thing to have is enough
memory and a decent hard drive (speed wise)

My every day laptop is a 6 year old Toshiba and Windows 10 runs nice on it.  I upgraded
it a little bit with a used processor chip and a fast hard drive, on the cheap.

sfc_oliver

Just finished upgrading my oldest Brothers laptop to Win 10..... Took me 5 hours to get all the upgrades he needed before i could even start the Win 10 upgrade.... And that took all morning this morning, but it's done and hopefully he'll pick it up later today....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

I turned the bleeping computer on at 8:00 am this morning and until noon it was giving me fits to the extreme but at noon it finally settled down and started doing its job, but when I go to turn it on again tomorrow it's gonna be the same. If I were still living on the North side I would have taken a hammer and smashed this computer to pieces then tossed what was left into a garbage can and put it out with the garbage.

sfc_oliver

You may vent at any time......

We are pleased to receive......
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

I am furious to the extreme ... the fuse is so near the powder that the time is measured in miliseconds so just read this and don't give me any of your lip. My bleeping computer is on its last legs, and the people that service it no longer will touch it with a ten foot pole, and I fully understand why, this bleeping computer is 10 years old, it runs from 7:00 am to at least 1:00 am the next morning 7 days a week and some days when I can't sleep, longer. The issue is not getting a new one, it's a matter of having to recreate thousands of files on the new one and still be able to stay in touch with my family. Ohhhhh am I angry, not at any of you, but this bloody albatross of a computer of mine.
No advise is being asked for, and none is wanted, I just needed to vent my spleen and you folks were an easy target.

AllanY2525

Interesting article, to be sure.

I often have reservations about the amount of information Google collects
about all of us - they own many internet sites besides their search page
and some of the apps running under their Android operating system ask for
a LOT of rights and privileges when you install them on your device.

For instance, I downloaded a notepad app a few weeks ago that asked for
permission to access my photos, text messages, phone status, etc -
this was an app that was ONLY a simple notepad with no ability to use
or manipulate photos, send or receive text messages, etc. 

In other words, the app was requesting way more permissions than were
needed to do what the app is actually supposed to do.  I don't know if this
was an oversight by the programmer that wrote it, but deleted the app
anyway, just on principle.

The only app I allow to use my location (built in GPS radio) is my maps
and navigation app - nothing else needs to know my location, as far as
I am concerned.