News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Funding The Arts In Mahoning Valley

Started by jay, May 15, 2012, 08:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Towntalk

All men are created equal, that is a biological fact, but some are created more equal than others, and neither you, iwasthere or myself are in the more equal than others class, while dudes like Timmy Ryan and Shredded "Buster" Brown  ;D  are in the more equal class, and they arn't about lowering themselves to our level.

Rick Rowlands

First, I do not oppose all taxes.  I oppose Federal taxes for activities that are not defined by the constitution.  Second, read the last paragraph of my above post again.  There is a clear difference between the purpose and function of the three levels of government.   I oppose property taxes as that is an assault on private property ownership, but an evenly applied tax (such as a sales tax) to fund local needs and approved by the citizens would be OK with me.

I'm so screwy, I think that the Federal government should divide the total budget by the number of citizens above 18 and send each of us a bill for what would truly be our FAIR SHARE!   If "all men are created equal", then everyone should pay an equal share!

iwasthere

rr from your previous postings concerning taxes you oppose all taxes. now you are saying you have no problem with a tax that supports the arts. my question to you rr, what is it in it for you to have a tax to support the arts?

Rick Rowlands

But yes, I do find that usually everyone but me is wrong!  :)

Rick Rowlands

POA did a poor job of conveying their message at the meeting.  They did not establish a defined problem nor a clear solution to that problem.  they are asking for a change to the ORC but having a draft of the proposed changes would have greatly helped their cause.

I do not have a problem with a local government enacting a tax to support the arts if that is what the people want.  Local and state governments have that ability to meet the needs of their populations.  However it is clearly out of the purvue of the Federal government to do such a thing as it is not an enumerated power.   these matters are best left to the the state and local governments and their citizens anyways.

iwasthere

it is a tax no matter which way the cty com word it if it goes on the ballot. what was surprising is republicans leading the way for an art district by funding it through a tax in which the republicans do not like paying or funding th arts. my only guess there must be money to made from the artists.

iwasthere

it is a tax no matter which way the cty com word it if it goes on the ballot. what was surprising is republicans leading the way for an art district by funding it through a tax in which the republicans do not like paying or funding th arts. my only guess there must be money to made from the artists.

Towntalk

So everyone is wrong but Rick ... were you privy to what the reporter asked before and after the meeting? I seriously doubt it.

My point was and still is that the tax payers should not be forced to provide funds for "starving artists", and I fail to see how our local economy is dependent on them. How many unemployed men and women in the county have been put back to work by the arts crowd and taken of the welfare rolls?

The arts as a whole are dependent on volunteers ... non paid volunteers. Granted the Youngstown Symphony and the Butler Institute of American Art are exceptions, but the rest are volunteers.

Oh, I know that there are those who think differently, and that's their privilege, but until they can show us how Youngstown and Mahoning County's unemployment can shrink because of the arts, I will continue to oppose any tax, no matter how small for the support of the arts.

Rick Rowlands

Yes iwasthere, funded by a levied tax, BUT NOT NECCISARILY A CIGARETTE TAX!  It would be up to the county commissioners to determine what form that tax would be.  Towntalk is making an issue where there is none, based upon a poor presentation by the POA people and reporters who did not pay attention to what they were hearing. 

iwasthere

rr i heard right the republicans that are on the poa wanted a art district modeled after cuyfalls district that levied a smokers's tax on cigs. the letter that was handed out was written in a format that the poa wanted the attending audence to write to the the ne legistrators to pass a art district that is funded by a levied tax.

Towntalk

Jay, what chaps my hide is the fact that any time some group wants to raise money they target tobacco users, but totally ignore targeting liquor. Drinkers are a vastly larger group than smokers, and more dangerous when drunk.

What's one of the most popular fund raising events the arts hold?  Wine and cheese tasting. If those hypocrits said to put a tax on both tobacco and beer, wine and whisty, I wouldn't be so adament in my opposition.

jay

The man who did most of the leg work for this issue is a Republican and he sure let everyone in attendance know it.  I believe he also acknowledged that the head of the Mahoning County Republican Party was in the audience.

Members of both major parties are working together on this one.

Towntalk

Jay, apparently the reporter for the Vindy didn't hear what Rick heard.

Arts group lobbies for cigarette tax

At a meeting Tuesday, about 75 members of the Valley's arts and cultural community were updated on progress made by Power of the Arts, an umbrella organization of area arts and entertainment groups.
Steering committee member Mark Mangie called on POA members to urge state legislators to support an effort to allow all counties to enact a cigarette tax to fund cultural groups. Currently, only Cuyahoga County has the power to impose the tax.
POA members were supplied with contact information for all regional lawmakers at the meeting, which was held at The Butler Institute of American Art.

SOURCE: The Vindicator

Towntalk

That's the problem with politicians and advocacy groups ... the politicians all without exception double talk around issues and the advocacy want to keep their paws in other people's pockets, and what segment of our population is easier to rob than folks that smoke? As far as I'm concerned these people are just another group on the dole. I support the Butler, the Youngstown Symphony, and the Youngstown Playhouse, but as for the rest nada ... no ... never! As far as I'm concerned they could disappear tomorrow and wouldn't be missed.

I notice that certain people who promote events here ignore the valley's real arts treasures as if they didn't exist ... Butler ... Youngstown Symphony ... the Playhouse.