News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Bad Guys Win Again

Started by jay, July 07, 2011, 09:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

I try to show that Youngstown isn't one giant cesspool as often as possible. (here, Vindy.com, City-Data.com, facebook, even urbanohio.com--though most people there know and appreciate Youngsotown--etc.)  But, the "doom and gloomers" come out of the woodwork, and insist that I'm just wearing rose colored glasses.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Oh, and I forgot to mention Church.

jay

Don't forget these great events taking place on the North Side this weekend.

St. Nicholas Greek Fest
North Walnut Street
July 8, 9, 10

North Side Farmers' Market,
Saturday, July 9,  9:00 a.m. - Noon

YSU Summer Festival of the Arts
Saturday, July 9, 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, July 10, 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Youngstown Jazz Fest
Saturday, July 9, 6:30 p.m.

Towntalk

I guess that I'm just a wee bit sensitive about the area.

When I moved to this area back in 1983 our area was bad, but through the efforts of the neighbors and former Chief Wellington now Sheriff, we cleaned it up, and got rid of the trash permanently.

Outsiders looking for information about Youngstown read these posts, and based on all the negative press we get along with the doom and gloom here, naturally assume the worst about the whole city. They won't take the time to do an on sight investigation, and migrate to the suburbs, and quite honestly I don't blame them, if I had my druthers, I'd avoid the city like the plague just based on what I read on this web site, but I love this city and its rich history, and opted to stay here when family members wanted me to move to their area, and I'll stay here until it come my time.

Just look at all the advantages I have ... within walkind distance to YSU ... Stambaugh Auditorium ... the Main Branch of the Library ... Butler ... the Historical Society ... the Steel Museum and Powers Auditorium. The bus stops at my door, there's a nice family owned grocery store across the street.

northside lurker

Towntalk, I also wonder why, if people must give up on their particular neighborhood, why they leave the city entirely, instead of choosing a different--perfectly fine--neighborhood in the city.  As Jay points out, all neighborhoods in the city are suffering from flight to some degree, and any of the still stable neighborhoods would welcome more responsible people moving in.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

It was their north side neighborhood that had declined.
When the family moved, they didn't move to the west side.  The west side definitely has its own set of problems.  People are also fleeing from some of the areas along Mahoning Avenue.

Towntalk

Jay are you suggesting that the entire North Side is as bad as the South and East Sides? I've lived here for 30 years with no problems, enjoy my front porch in the evening, and enjoy my neighbors.

Simply tossing one example up against the wall like you did doesn't do justice to all the good people who live on the North Side and unlike the South and East they are in the majority.

I suppose in your mind all the folks that don't live on the West Side are trashy people. I don't believe that for a single second.

jay

I know a family that lived on the north side for over twenty years.  They lived in a neighborhood that has been in decline for years.  Faced with crime, vandalism and  obnoxious neighbors, my friends finally decided to move out of Youngstown.  They took their two income family wages with them.

It looks as though the bad guys won again.
  :'(