News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Tax Abatement For Grocery Store

Started by jay, June 01, 2011, 09:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

i agree with jay on tax abatements. these establishments would have come into the ytown area due to the need for neighborhood grocery stores.

irishbobcat

Again, why should a business be exempt from paying their fair share of city taxes?

If the business is coming to Y-Town to make a buck....then pay a buck in taxes!!!!

fair is fair......

Towntalk

I don't know who coined the phrase but during some tough union negotiations management said "He who eats my bread dances to my tune" translated " He who takes my money had better do what I tell them to do, or else!"

Youngstownshrimp

The best incentive for business to come into the Valley is for the local government to get out of the way!

northside lurker

I understand what you're saying, Jay.  But, part of luring businesses to an area may include offering incentives like tax abatements.  If a business was offered an incentive, and it is denied to them later, that makes the city look unfriendly to business.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

I'm not for granting a tax abatement to a new business when it is not given to a competing business which has been around for years.  This is an unfair advantage for the new business.

I think you are correct.  The City of Youngstown has already bent over backwards with land acquisition, utilities, and site preparation.

northside lurker

Depends.  If the store was asked to come here, and they were "promised" a tax abatement, then they should get it.  If the store chose to come here on their own, and haven't asked for an abatement until now, then no. (didn't the city give them a good deal on the land, already?)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

City Council is considering a property tax abatement for a new grocery to be located in the Fosterville area of the south side of Youngstown?

Should the tax abatement be granted?  If so, why?

Should the tax abatement be denied?  If not, why?