News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

More T-shirts (photo for today)

Started by jay, November 05, 2010, 08:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Having been an expatriate growing up in the Philippines, US made was King.  In highschool we could tell who had knockoff jeans by looking at the stitch in the belt loop.  There were no zig zag machines back them locally, only US jeans had the zig zag and you were cool if you had real Levi's.

Yeah US made was indisputable the best and look what we spoiled brats of rich steel mill workers have done now, nothing, sad.

Why?Town

According to my brother who is pretty high up at Nautica, seeing the  "Made in the USA" label does not guarantee more jobs for Americans nor does it gurantee better qualitiy nor price.

I believe I posted about this before. "Made in the USA" means assembled here, not necessarily of American materials. There are more employment opportunities in the manufacture of materials(cloth, threads, dyes, etc.) than in the actual assembly of clothing. Also many companies use lesser quality foreign materials to keep costs down on their "made in the USA" clothing.

Basically clothes are like cars, they can't be defined as originating in any one country.

jay

The mere mention of the T-shirts at the Steel Museum already got at least two customers (Forum Members) to buy them. 

When the T-shirts are reordered, printing them on MADE IN USA shirt stock may increase sales.  I think that would be a good thing for the Steel Museum.

Oldmill

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on November 06, 2010, 11:40:47 PM
Why is it that I have this overwhelming urge right now to run off to Walmart and buy as much foreign made clothing that I can put into a cart?   I just can't stand Jay's self righteous attitude sometimes.
Just what in the hell is so self righteous about buying American ???? its attitudes like that is what is ruining this country ! That and corporate greed  ("Oh I just cant get enough money") Go ahead fill up your cart with foreign goods ! Contribute to the mounting debt . Why not everyone else does it . Oy vey ! Thank God there is a death !  Oh and Good morning to you . PSS I do believe we need some foreign trade just not as much and so one sided

Rick Rowlands

Why is it that I have this overwhelming urge right now to run off to Walmart and buy as much foreign made clothing that I can put into a cart?   I just can't stand Jay's self righteous attitude sometimes.

jay

Please buy the clothing that is MADE IN USA.

Shirley

I think I am going to pick up a few for Christmas gifts. Thanks for the idea everyone.

Oldmill

Quote from: Towntalk on November 06, 2010, 01:42:37 PM
oldmill said:

"You do have the ability to shop around my friend . "

Not meaning to be offensive Oldmill, but you don't know me or my situation so you can't speak for me, but I happen to be homebound and luckey to get out once a month, so I can't go running all over town like others.

No offense taken and you are right I don't know you or your situation but you have the internet and and the world is at your fingertips including USA :D :-*

Towntalk

Rick, I'll send you a private message with my address for the order, and thank you.

Rick Rowlands

Towntalk

oldmill said:

"You do have the ability to shop around my friend . "

Not meaning to be offensive Oldmill, but you don't know me or my situation so you can't speak for me, but I happen to be homebound and luckey to get out once a month, so I can't go running all over town like others.

Rick Rowlands

The Youngstown shirt is $15 and the Jeannette Blast Furnace shirt is $10.   Available at the YHCIL or I can deliver!

And one more thing to think about.  If factories cease to exist in Mexico, then the pressure to illegally cross into the US is greater.  So closing the T shirt factory down there may result in a greater burden on our already overtaxed social welfare system. 

Oldmill

Quote from: Towntalk on November 06, 2010, 12:43:45 AM
Being on a fixed income, I don't have the luxury of running all over town to shop for "made in America" only food projects. As it is though, I don't fault those who do have the ability to shop around.
Fixed income ? So am I, but when I was working I was still on a fixed income . You do have the ability to shop around my friend . I admit it is a bit harder but still possible. We need to take this country back

Towntalk

Being on a fixed income, I don't have the luxury of running all over town to shop for "made in America" only food projects. As it is though, I don't fault those who do have the ability to shop around.

Oldmill

Quote from: Towntalk on November 05, 2010, 11:27:10 PM
Jay, when you go to the store do you examine every can or jar to make sure that it was a USA product, and when you go out to dine do you make sure that the food was a product of the USA?
I don't know about Jay but I examine all products I purchase and if It is made in the USA and I need it I buy it if made somewhere else  I have to really need it to buy it . I always pick USA made over all others . Sometimes its hard to do but persistence pays off .