News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Eastside Dog Fighting

Started by Youngstownshrimp, August 15, 2010, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on August 21, 2010, 11:10:47 PM
Sorry, what I thought I implied was that the council members have only shown me ineptness, therefore notifying them would be a waste of time.

My house was recently broken into.  The police arrived quickly, but I saw no value in their service after that. (I only received a little yellow piece of paper, a couple phone calls, and nothing else.)  But, that doesn't mean I'm not going to call the police the next time I see a law being broken.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

Sorry, what I thought I implied was that the council members have only shown me ineptness, therefore notifying them would be a waste of time.

northside lurker

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on August 19, 2010, 11:26:11 PM
Funny how today's news validates my alarm on animal abuse, I guess dog fighting is not only alive on the eastside but all over the city as well.

Who needed validation?  I think everyone here believed you, and said you should report it.  You implied that you wouldn't report it because council members took issue with your shrimp ponds.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

Funny how today's news validates my alarm on animal abuse, I guess dog fighting is not only alive on the eastside but all over the city as well.

Rick Rowlands

As Ron phrased it, it appears as though the shrimp ponds were not wanted by the council members in their wards.  It did not sound as if they had concerns that the land was not zoned for aquaculture. 

I've never seen what the problem was with the ponds.  What could be more natural than a body of water?  It makes less of an impact on the neighborhood than land based crop farming: no tractors, no fertilizers, no dust.  Why would any Youngstown council member be against this?  Its baffling to me. 

So you are leaving the forum.  Well it was good while it lasted.  I appreciated your participation and discussions.  Now I guess the last little window that us citizens had to city government is now closing.  So sad.

john r. swierz

Rick, I can't believe you mean that. I first took and oath  when I went into the U.S. Army, later I took and oath when I joined the Youngstown Fire Dept. Each time I was elected as a council member and President of Council I took and oath to uphold the charter and laws of the city of Youngstown Ohio. That's why they need to worry about what goes on in their ward. Most likely this will be my last post on the site.

Rick Rowlands

Why should a city councilperson have any say in how a private individual uses his or her private property?  Kitchen and Gilliam should keep their nose out of the business of private landowners and deal with the many problems that are their responsibility.

john r. swierz

I know the boundaries are funny out that way, but she should want to know about the dog fighting

Youngstownshrimp

Coucilman, I forgot to tell you, where the dog fighting is going on belongs to Gillams ward and Annie also told me to stop digging ponds in her ward and I have it on my voice mail.

Youngstownshrimp

LOL , Kitchen opposed the shrimp ponds and drove a small farmer from the eastside.  I brought a large architecture firm who designed an aquaculture project on 100 acres of city land and all they got was hyperbole, they are now working with rural farmers.  Another loss for the City.

Google   Hukaprawnpark  in New Zealand and see what this group envisioned, what a shame.

john r. swierz

Wouldn't it be better if Council member Kitchen were also notified , since it is his ward.

Youngstownshrimp

Councilman Swierz,  Okay I will call the police and inform them what I know if you call the police as a councilman who will have their attention more than I would.  I have never had a problem with the YPD so it will not be a problem for me to call them tomorrow.

john r. swierz

We all get frustrated by some of the actions and reactions of YPD, but in this case if they were told about  this dog fighting situation they might just do something, and wouldn't that be a good thing !                     

Rick Rowlands

From time to time stray dogs pass through the Tod Engine Heritage Park.  Is it really worth my time to call the Youngstown Police if I see stray dogs?  The police dept. did nothing when some of our engine parts were stolen last year (well the did release the thief after he had been caught red handed, so they did do "something"), so I really have no faith in the Youngstown Police Department. 

Why?Town

Rick,

I see your reasoning..to a point.

The problem is if/when Pit Bulls are successfully eliminated the scum dog owners will just move on to the next "best for fighting" breed. Then we can ban that breed and keep the cycle going until even "purse dogs" are banned. Then on to cats, I guess.

And we do have a way to ban scum dog owners, at least temporarily, it's called jail.