News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Shirley Road Homicide

Started by jay, November 28, 2013, 06:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

So what's so unusual about that? Mayors have in the past come from all sides of the city ... the West Side ... the North Side ... the East Side ... and yes, even from the South Side, and yet in the grand scheme of things, aside from bragging rights, that makes very little difference to anyone. If you need hospital care, do you go to the Mayor? Nope. If you want to hear a concert at Stambaugh Auditorium, do you go to the Mayor? Nope. If you want a college degree from YSU, do you go to the Mayor? Nope again. How many times in your lifetime have you sought out the Mayor to provide you with a cultural, educational or health need? Oh to be sure, he can help if you have a problem with garbage collection or some other city provided service ...that's his job. That's what we pay him to do, but I can't remember a time when I even needed to call City Hall, but I sure can remember when I needed the services of the hospitals, Stambaugh Auditorium, Butler Institute of American Art, the Main Branch of the Library and the Arms Museum, all on the North Side. Shoot, even Time Warner is located on the North Side, and I use their services every day both for TV and the Internet.
Now don't get me wrong, I use to live on the West Side ... went to Chaney ... have family that lives on the West Side, so I have nothing against that side of town, but here on the North Side, I'm surrounded on all sides with everything I need and use, thank you ever so much, and all of them are within walking distance on a nice summer day.
Oh, like every other side of town there are problems, but fortunately, I have never experienced any of them, so I'm quite happy and content.

jay

City's mayors now coming from the west side

Jay Williams
Charles Sammarone
John McNally

Billy Mumphrey

But in terms of homicides, they are clean as a whistle. God bless them and their neighbors.  :laugh:

Towntalk

And in terms of ... [1] Education ... [2] Economic power ... [3] Culture ... [4] Health;  the North Side trumps the West Side without question and none of these things can be taken away from us. You can't take away YSU or the two hospitals, you can't take away Stambaugh Auditorium, you can't take away the Butler Institute of Art or the Arms Museum, you can't take away the Main Branch of the Public Library, you can't take away the Steel Museum and move them to the West Side. If these places were to leave the city, nothing that the West Side has could save Youngstown, and that my friend is a fact well worth keeping in mind. All these places employ people, many people, thousands of people in total, and if you were to sit down and try to see just how significant any other side of the city is to these things you would in each case fall short. The North Side is the heart of Youngstown, and the only thing that is keeping it alive.

Billy Mumphrey

But in terms of homicides, they are clean as a whistle. God bless them and their neighbors.

Towntalk

Don't gloat too much Billy, the West Side has it's fair share of other crimes ... robbery ... drugs ... burglary and the like.

Billy Mumphrey

God bless the west side. The safest part of the city.

jay

Towntalk

Lets be absolutely blunt and quit beating around the bush. (1) The victim was 70 years old; (2) He was left naked; (3) He knew his killer; (4) At one time he shared his home with the killer. [All according to WKBN News.] AND THE MAN ARRESTED FOR THE MURDER IS LEO KELLISH [according to the Vindicator].
Here is the story as published in todays Vindicator:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/nov/29/man--found-fatally-beaten-on-south-side/

jay

The 70 year old victim was beaten to death.

Youngstownshrimp

You can't run from it, it is not the neighborhood, it is the savages moving from one demo soon to another.

jay

TV news is reporting that a homicide has taken place on Shirley Road on the city's south side.  No details were given at this time.