News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

People Who Ruin Recycling

Started by jay, May 17, 2021, 08:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

That isn't good. Unfortunately even if it didn't happen, recycling in Mahoning county has been ruined by itself.

The puny little bins that have been passed out to us and collected every two weeks were able to hold about one week of recyclables when my two kids still lived at home, and that was only if I flattened every box, tin can and plastic bottle. For a while I had two bins, that was better but not great.  I'm not sure the actual size of the huge recycle cans my mom has in Trumbull county are but they're almost double the size of the 55 gallon recycle cans that the county determined were too small. FWIW,  I think those old 55 gallon cans would hold 3 or 4 times as much stuff as our bins.

Even back then I would randomly take stuff to one of former three drop-off locations. There were many times that I couldn't actually drop anything off because they were over filled. How did the county try to stop that? They completely eliminated one location. Somehow less places to drop off is supposed to make the remaining ones better. FAT CHANCE, the second closest one to my house just filled up quicker.

The last in my effort was having corrugated cardboard laying in my yard the morning after the recycler truck came by. I called to let them know I didn't want stuff left in my yard and was told they don't pick up corrugated cardboard. I asked when they quit and was told they never picked it up. I told them I haven't had any laying in my yard teh last 20+ years and was then told that they now have someone else doing their job correctly and not picking it up. Thanks for finally letting me know about you correcting your 20+ year mistake when I finally called a month later.

The only thing I recycle today are batteries and lightbulbs. Mainly because where they go seem much more trustworthy than anything Mahoning County can handle.

jay

I drove past the Austintown drop-off recycling location on South Raccoon the other day.  Somebody left a couch next to the recycling bins.

:P