News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"YBI 50% subsidized by GOV Pork, now wants Private Pork"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, February 01, 2013, 07:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Just think the prosperity that this country could once again enjoy if the obstructionists would just get out of the way and let it happen.  The environmentalists make such big deals about levels of pollutants that a century ago would not have even registered on anyone's radar.  The ability of scientists to detect amounts down to 1 in billions has actually caused more damage than the pollutants themselves in terms of lost productivity, increased costs and ultimately a decrease in the standard of living for the middle class. 

Due to the tightness of available capital to start businesses, many entrepreneurs find it hard to  come up with the seed money to get off the ground.  A good incubator helps lessen those costs by providing the necessary office space and equipment at a low monthly rate.   If you are a one man landscaping company for instance, you still need an office to keep your books, computer, fax, printer, scanner, phone and it would be nice to have someone answer your calls while you are out running your lawnmower or plowing driveways.  An incubator can provide that equipment and services for a fee lower than what would be possible if you had to go buy all that equipment and hire a receptionist. 

Youngstownshrimp

Actually the Business Journal reported more like 70% of YBI is subsidized by the government.  And yes, "shares" was just a joke.  Workspace for startups might be a good idea, I never noticed how rental stops a good sound upstart from moving forward.  Yes with all the influx of investment, more is to happen here.  What many here do not see is more thinktanks for energy arriving here than any other industry. 
Today on GoMarcellusshale.com  a BP London report is being discussed on how they see America "busting lose" and surpasssing everyone again in reindustrialization and energy not ten years from now, but this YEAR.

Rick Rowlands

As a nonprofit they can't sell shares. 

YBI has three buildings.  The main building is generally for the startups and small entities that they are "incubating" by providing below market rate space and services.  The Taft building is leased to more mature companies such as Turning Tech who I assume pays market rates for the space and services.  They are now adding the Semple building for the NAAMI who I hope will be paying full market rates for that space.  So I would guess that the rents pay for much of their operating expenses, the fundraising campaign would make up for difference.   

What would be nice would be an incubator for traditional small businesses.  There are a lot of businesses around here that don't have an office except the owner's dining room table.  Rent those people some space in a building and give them high speed internet, a full time shared secretary, a full array of office services etc. 

Regus does exactly that and is a for profit private company!  http://www.regus.com/starting-a-business/index.aspx   Too bad they don't have a facility in Youngstown but with all the new investment around here perhaps that will happen someday soon.

Youngstownshrimp

Rick I like your logic, so the YBI in your opinion are shedding the sucking of government funds and now have free market as a goal.  So are they going to sell shares?

Rick Rowlands

If donors are willing to contribute to the YBI then they are spending their money on their own free will which is far more preferable to having that money forcibly removed from people unwilling to support  the YBI.

Youngstownshrimp

::) I've been writing this for along time about the incubator being nothing more than a pork job.  I'm sure that a report coming out about if all this Gov pork resulted in a return for the taxpayer.  I seriously doubt it and now we are reading that the YBI now says their Gov pork is drying up so now they want private pork.  This is not the way business is born folks, your grandparents knew this an showed you.  The incubator is nothing but a feel-good-pork job that is no longer needed since the real McCoy called the Utica shale is here.