News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Joe Wilson's outburst at Obama is costing him.

Started by rusty river, September 09, 2009, 11:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

sfc_oliver

<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

ytowner

Joe Wilson (RS.C.) has raised almost $750000 in less than 48 hours since his shout of "You lie!" to President Obama during the Wednesday address to Congress.

Take that libs!

sfc_oliver

Maybe wrong time and place, but when since April has a Republican been invited to speak to the President? Last thing he had to say to Republican congressional leaders was "I won."

Also if you actually paid attention to this 29th speech on health care reform, The president used it to call anyone who disagreed with him liars. When he should have been trying to get bipartisan support he separated us even more.

Towntalk

Are you then saying that it was wrong for the Democrats to boo President Bush during the 1995 State of the Union Address? That was a Constitutionally mandated speech?

Oh, I forgot ... Freedom of speech ... Bush was a Republican ... He was a joke ... his speeches were hard to take.

I didn't agree with Bush, but the time to show disdain for the man was after the speech when they could spell out their disagreements in a civil manner.

They could also have simply not shown up. There's no law that says that they have to, and what better way to show anger than for all the Democrats in the House and Senate to simply absent themselves leaving the chamber half empty.

irishbobcat

Rick Rowlands

This is the same legislative body that has seen fistfights, brawls and other such behavior in its two century history.

Now i do agree that Mr. Wilson's outburst was wrong.  Wrong time and place.  Whether the President is a liar is also open to debate.  There is a provision in one of the bills that prohibit illegals from accessing government healthcare, but there is no verification procedures.  So its a gray area in which both Wilson and Obama can claim that they are right and would in fact be right, to a point.

sfc_oliver

sfc_oliver

Quote from: rusty river on September 11, 2009, 06:27:10 PM
Congressman Joe Wilson is under the command of the rules and regulations of the United States Congress.  Specifically, these rules:

Under section 370 of the House Rules and Manual it has been held that a Member could:

* refer to the government as "something hated, something oppressive."
        * refer to the President as "using legislative or judicial pork."
        * refer to a Presidential message as a "disgrace to the country."
        * refer to unnamed officials as "our half-baked nitwits handling foreign affairs."

Likewise, it has been held that a member could not:

* call the President a "liar."
        * call the President a "hypocrite."
        * describe the President's veto of a bill as "cowardly."
        * charge that the President has been "intellectually dishonest."
        * refer to the President as "giving aid and comfort to the enemy."
        * refer to alleged "sexual misconduct on the President's part."

So if the president is being charged with any of these things then a member of congress cannot address the charges? That makes zero sense.

sfc_oliver

Obviously we need a small history lesson. I retired in 1993 after 22 years of active duty. I retired because I could not morally serve under a Commander in Chief I considered (As did many other senior NCO's) a draft dodger. SO I have a history of not caring for certain Commander in Chiefs. Since I am now a retiree, I have no Commander in Chief, so I as a private citizen can speak out any way I care to.

Now as far as calling the president a liar, how many times did we hear the phrase "Bush lied _____troops died" ?

Now tell me how Mr Obama can say that the bill does not cover illegals when there are so many different bills out there,  one of which is still in committee. This President Is a liar, and if you are honest with yourself you know it. Where is the transparency? Instead we get bills pushed out at 3 am for a vote that same day. Mr Obama promised to make sure the people had 5 days to look at a bill before he signed it. Sorry but this hasn't happened either. He lied. And there is no way this program does what it needs to do.

I also believe he lied about it not adding to the deficit, unless he plans on adding to most of our taxes that is. And then that is even another lie. (do we remember the cigarette tax still?)

Sorry but the congressman may have not been politically correct but he was for sure right.

"Douglas Elmendorf, director of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, said bills crafted by House leaders and the Senate health committee do not propose "the sort of fundamental changes" necessary to rein in the skyrocketing cost of government health programs"

"Congressional Budget Office (CBO) Director Douglas Elmendorf said the plans already released by the House and Senate would keep costs rising at an unsustainable pace, fueling criticism from Republicans and some conservative Democrats that the overhaul will bankrupt the country. "

As Mark Tapscott of the Washington Examiner pointed out at the end of last month, the Congressional Research Service (CRS) disagrees, and had this to say about H.R. 3200, the reform bill approved just before the August recess by the House Energy and Commerce Committee:

"Under H.R. 3200, a 'Health Insurance Exchange' would begin operation in 2013 and would offer private plans alongside a public option...H.R. 3200 does not contain any restrictions on noncitizens—whether legally or illegally present, or in the United States temporarily or permanently—participating in the Exchange."

Do I need to find more on just this subject alone? Or would you like several pages of other lies?

Rick Rowlands

A member of congress is not under the command of the Commander in Chief of the armed forces, but a sergeant in the Military is.  I understand you are trying to make a point, but please don't mistake us for fools.

iwasthere

sarge what would happen to you if called your commander-in-chief a liar aka joe wilson while you were in the military. i would say you would be harshly dealt with by your superiors. :o

Towntalk

This from the Associated Press

FACT CHECK: Obama uses iffy math on deficit pledge

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g5ewCvsGcSPBeHJurb6qYZLVU8OgD9AKAF902

Towntalk

Lets face it Why, most of the politicians in Washington are creeps.

Today on CNN, Rick pointed out with proof that our so called representatives in both houses are on the take from special interest lobbiests and their corporate benefactors ... BOTH REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC and are prepared to lie through their collective teeth.

Open Secrets

http://www.opensecrets.org/index.php

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php?order=A