News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Heads Up on oil

Started by Towntalk, August 14, 2008, 12:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

RUSH LIMBAUGH: Ladies and gentlemen, my computer IT guy, Scott Schaefer, sent me an e-mail note about 7:59 last night, said, "You gotta turn on the History Channel because they're doing one of their Modern Marvels series," and it was a show devoted to everything that we get from oil and how it is made.  I watched this thing last night and I was mesmerized.  In a broad base, I knew it all, but to see it spelled out and to see how the refining process takes place, to see all of the ancillary products -- for example, ladies, do you know how Maybelline, the cosmetics company, came to be in existence?  Some woman decided to mix some product with Vaseline, which is a derivative of oil, in a fascinating way, and Maybelline -- her name was Mabel -- Maybelline was born.  You put lipstick on?  It wouldn't be possible without oil.  Eye shadow, foundation, whatever the makeup stuff is, wouldn't be possible without oil.  Plastics, I mean, it just is incredible.  When you watch this show -- and I'm going to go back through it.  I would love to get permission from the History Channel to play the audio of this, or some audio from it because it was profound. 

Towntalk

HISTORY CHANNEL
Saturday, Aug. 23
7:00 PM

Modern Marvels: Secrets of Oil
Rubber, Plastic, Nylon, Aerosols, Resins, Solvents, and Lubricants--none can exist without oil. If we stopped driving our cars tomorrow, America would still need five million barrels of oil a day. Visit Vulcan Materials, where oil tanks are emptied into massive double-barrel mixers to make asphalt and then continue to the Rolls Royce Aerospace Facility where complex jet fuels are blended. Travel back to the 1870's to see how an unemployed whale oil salesman turned a greasy oil-drilling by-product into a household staple: Vaseline. Finally discover how cutting-edge recycling techniques can breathe new life into used motor oil, and where a number of renewable fuels and technologies take aim at oil sovereignty.