News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Kasich's Plans Continue To Hurt Local Governments

Started by irishbobcat, October 23, 2011, 07:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Money for local services should come from local taxes. Taxes that everyone pays, not just property owners.

irishbobcat

Well, once again we see Governor Kasich's plans at the state level continue
to hurt local governments....Does Kasich care? hardly!!!!

Locals say state cuts led to levies
Despite Kasich's urging against tax issues, they say they have no choice....
Fred Squillante | DISPATCH

All across Ohio, cuts in state aid have pushed hundreds of local governments, schools and libraries to ask voters for more money.

Although Gov. John Kasich and GOP legislative leaders frequently boast of closing a massive budget shortfall without raising taxes, it hasn't taken long for the cuts — compounded by those from earlier years — to threaten services at the local level and create an urgent need for cash from local tax levies.

Kasich has warned local governments not to raise taxes in response to state budget cuts, saying it will hurt the state's development efforts.

Still, on Nov. 8, voters statewide will decide nearly 1,100 tax issues, including 186 for school operations and improvements. Other levies seek funding for police and fire protection, libraries, street repairs, parks and senior services.

"The economy is incredibly tough, and there is a lot of competition for property taxes," said Matt DeTemple, executive director of the Ohio Township Association.

Dozens of townships were forced to the ballot to help make up for a 25 percent cut in state aid, with another 25 percent cut coming next year.

"It's a huge hit for township budgets," DeTemple said. "They have no choice but to ask local voters."

It's the same story for public libraries.

In the past decade, state aid for libraries has dropped 30 percent, most of that in the past four years, said Douglas S. Evans, executive director of the Ohio Library Council. Statewide, 20 library levies will appear on next month's ballot, more than half seeking new money.

"The new levies are not excessive, libraries are just trying to make up for what they've lost," Evans said.

Cuts in state aid have caused some libraries to reduce staff and hours at a time when demand for services is up. Low-income families in particular are relying on libraries for Internet access to apply for government services such as unemployment benefits or subsidized housing.

"The choice for the community is, do you want to have a library or not, and if you do, it will be up to local taxpayers to fund it," said Don Barlow, director of the Westerville Library, which is asking voters to approve a 2-mill levy.

Voters in Westerville are getting hit more than most with three money issues to decide on Election Day.

The school district wants $21 million from a combined property tax-income tax levy to blunt the loss of millions in state aid, while the library hopes to raise $5 million to offset cuts that have dropped funding to 1996 levels.

And, to maintain services for the most-vulnerable children and adults, the Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities is asking voters countywide to renew a $94 million levy. Such services took a 30 percent cut in the state budget.

"This is a tough time to be on the ballot, and it's going to be particularly tough because our schools are on the ballot at the same time and there is a developmental-disabilities levy," Barlow said.

Yet, not asking voters for help is just as unappealing. Failure of the proposed 2-mill levy " would be catastrophic," Barlow said.

"We would lose all of our local funding; 42 percent of our budget. We would have to lay off half of our staff and struggling to be open eight hours a day, five days a week."

Like many voters, Kasich, whose Genoa Township home lies within the Westerville school and library districts, says he's still studying the issues.

"I'm going to do my research and dig into it," the governor said. "I intend to find out what they're all about, if they merit a vote in favor, I'll vote in favor. And when I do vote, I'm not going to tell you how I voted because it's a private ballot."

Across Franklin County, voters face 15 tax issues, including school levies in Canal Winchester, Dublin, Groveport Madison, Hilliard and Westerville. Blendon and Mifflin townships and the village of Valleyview are seeking funding for police and emergency services. Other jurisdictions are asking voters to fund operations and parks.

If the campaign sign in Charlie Cox's Westerville yard is any indication, local levies may face an uphill battle. It reads: "The Time Has Come. Vote No on Everything."

The 68-year-old retired car salesman says he had the sign made because "it's gotten to the point where enough is enough." He said he's gotten lots of honks and thumbs-up signs from passers-by, although one neighbor complained about the message.

"I love my neighborhood, and I love my schools, and Westerville has great ideas. But they spend money before they know where it's coming from, and it gets to the point where you have to say: ' Stop'."

Eric Sanchez, 42, of Westerville, also has grown weary of seemingly nonstop requests for tax revenue.

"I'm looking into all three levies and researching them, but it just seems like it's continuing year after year," he said. "I wonder where this money is being spent and whether we can't hold off a few years until the economy turns around."

While the 1,100 issues this year may seem a long list, the number is actually down a bit from previous years.

Many schools still have federal stimulus money that is allowing them to hold off asking taxpayers for additional cash despite the state reductions. Other government leaders don't want to be on the same ballot as state Issue 2, the referendum to repeal collective-bargaining cutbacks in Senate Bill 5.

But pressures on local voters may get worse before they improve.

"As overwhelming as that list is (on the November ballot), a year from now it's going to be a lot worse," said Woody Woodward, executive director of the Ohio Parks and Recreation Association.

"I know the governor has encouraged folks not to go to the ballot and voters not to increase local taxes, (but) these are services that citizens want and expect government to provide. At a certain point, it becomes difficult to provide those services without funding."