News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

President Obama

Started by Towntalk, October 21, 2011, 12:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Having done show prep over a 15 year period, allow me to outline how that works.

To begin with I knew what the host was using for topics so:

1. I would use Lexis-Nexis to find topical articles and press releases.
2. I would next go to major newspapers for matching articles using the New York Times, Washington Post and the Los Angeles Times.
3. Next the news magazines ... Time; News Week; U.S. News and World Report.
4. Finally the archives of the cable news channels.

The material would then be catagorized by topic, placed into a single packet on average 15 pages and faxed to the host.

Because government documents may be important I would provide links since many were too long to fax.

My web site - Reporters Notebook served as home base for my work.

Towntalk

Hope this answers your question:

There is a huge difference between difference between a talk show host and a TV News Anchor like Wolf Blitzer.

A talk show host lacks the credentials that allows him or her direct access to the powers that be, but have to depend on newspapers, magazines, wire services and regular newscasts for their material. They have a staff of people that gleen news sources for material but do not have as I said, direct access to the subjects.

A news anchor such as Wolf Blitzer or Anderson Cooper have a team of credentialed reporters who do have access to the powers that be and report directly on the air. They also because of their position have direct access to the power that be whether it's the President, Vice President or Cabnet head. Add to this the network has a team of contributers who were accredited staff members of previous administration that have credability to speak on issues.

A talk show host can be likened to a newspaper columnist who depends upon wire services, newspapers, magazines and other materials that are subscribed to, but do not have the direct access to the powers that be, and they are not held to the same standards as a regular accredited reporter since theirs is opinion which can either be liberal or conservative.

In the news section of a newspaper besides the normal news stories, there may be "news analysis" stories which are a blend of streight news reporting and opinion and are labeled as such, but are written by accredited staffers. Some magazines have staff writers who have official accredidation at the White House or Department and work out of the press room of the White House or Department whose articles are a blend of streight news and op-ed, but because they do have access to the powers that be have more credability than the radio or TV talk show host.

Then there are those on TV who have talk shows but do have access to powers that be such as Larry King and Piers Morgan.

kenneyjoe330

Excuse me Towntalk are you asking ME to "Explain these observations ........" ??? If so here goes:
You used the word "observations" and I think that has a lot to do with - as educated and knowledgeable as these people are none the less they are "observations" and not facts.  You can learn a lot from their speculations IF you remember they are just Talking Heads  ;D  How do you think they make their living???  What motivates them to say what they say???   Who signs their pay check and why ???   Most people would think I am a liberal Democrat - maybe on a lot of things I am - Wow was I ever supprised to find myself agreeing with of all people Rush  :o :o :o THEN sometimes he makes me sooooo sick I want to puke  :laugh:  He talks about stuff I couldn't ever think about - so I listen to him every once in a while for as long as I can take him.  He is well paid and does an excellent job at what he does - no one can take that away from him - however he is a "Talking Head but without the head"  :laugh: ;D :laugh:  If Obama should sneeze a couple of times or trips over his own feet in public the 2012 Presidential Election will be brought up  ;) Can you tell me ONE thing that President Obama would do that WILL NOT be construed to have some sort of connection with the coming 2012 Election and give the talking heads something to talk about ???
Now what Obama says and DOES - that is what interest me.  "W" got us in and so far it looks like Obama - with or without "W"'s plans -  is fixing to get us out - and the Talking Heads and Talkers will speculate like hell - collect their well earned pay checks  ::) and try to get even more people to listen to them  :laugh:

Whats to explain about speculative talking heads?

Towntalk

Explain these observations via CNN's Wolf Blitzer and GLORIA BORGER, CNN CHIEF POLITICAL ANALYST, after Mr. Obama made the announcement:

WOLF BLITZER:. President Obama may be hoping to score some political points for ending a controversial war that began when George W. Bush was president of the United States. But the Republicans who want his job are calling the withdrawal a failure, not a success.

GLORIA BORGER, CNN CHIEF POLITICAL ANALYST: Well, in particular, Wolf, from Mitt Romney, and let me read to you what he said in a statement today. He said "President Obama's astonishing failure to secure an orderly transition in Iraq has unnecessarily put at risk the victories that were won through the blood and sacrifice of thousands of American men and women. The unavoidable question is whether this decision is the result of a naked political calculation, or simply ineptitude in negotiations with the Iraqi government."

kenneyjoe330

Quote from: Towntalk on October 22, 2011, 11:10:51 PM
Add to the three killings of nasty tyrants pulling our troops out of Iraq and its going to be tough for Republicans.

As pointed out in another thread, the media, both liberal and conservative see this latest move as purely political with a view towards the 2012 elections.

Gee on another thread it was reported as a fact that Obama was just following "W"'s plans to end the war in 2011 ! ! !  Hummmmm

Rick Rowlands

It won't matter much.  The election is a year away and people have short memories.

irishbobcat

Ricky....you are such a far right wing whacko you think Rick Santorum is a liberal!

Towntalk

Add to the three killings of nasty tyrants pulling our troops out of Iraq and its going to be tough for Republicans.

As pointed out in another thread, the media, both liberal and conservative see this latest move as purely political with a view towards the 2012 elections.

Rick Rowlands

Well he certainly is NOT a conservative!  Not a centrist either!

northside lurker

Ask any die-hard liberal, and they'll tell you that Obama is not a liberal.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Killed three terrorists and still on track to kill the US economy.  Who said liberals were pacifists?

Towntalk

With three notches in his gun, Osama bin Laden, al-Zawahiri, and now as part of the international community, Gadhafi President Obama has accomplished what his predecessors only talked about. The question now is how will this impact his chances for a second term?