News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Jim Villani

Started by Towntalk, January 08, 2011, 09:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

I do not believe Villani's bldg. was foreclosed on, it is still in his name according to the auditor site which is not 100%.  Mr. Villani most likely is battling a foreclosure action but still is the current owner of the property.  It is impressive to see others stand up and decry the ineptness in City government  by withholding property taxes.  Mr. Villani may have a good argument in court if he questions what ATF paid the county for the property taxes?   The argument can be that the county should have given the discounted tax bill to the owner first before selling the cert. to carpet baggers from Florida.

jay

The program of selling Mahoning County tax liens to a private company has to be reassessed.  The company ends up charging interest and fees many times greater than the delinquent property tax.

We could discuss tax liens in another thread at another time.

irishbobcat

Thank you Jim for trying to run a business downtown.....offering quality printing at an affordable price....

Keep up the good work......

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on January 08, 2011, 10:50:43 AM
You've got that right Westsider.

Are there any real saloons downtown?

I could be wrong, as I'm not a fan of the traditional bar, and don't seek them out.  But I guess Cedars Lounge and the Draught House would fit the bill.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

You've got that right Westsider.

Are there any real saloons downtown?

northside lurker

I suspect foot traffic will really pick up when people start moving into the Federal Building, and Erie Terminal Building.  And where are all these bars that everyone keeps talking about?  Many establishments downtown serve alcohol, but if that makes them "bars," I would assume half the restaurants on 224 are bars, too.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Pig Iron publisher takes historical perspective

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/jan/08/pig-iron-publisher-takes-historical-perspective/

What has me concerned is this portion of the article:

"Villani said his companies still fall short of upkeep costs, so he also teaches English at Walsh University in North Canton. It hasn't stopped his building's being foreclosed upon, however.

Villani, who took over the building in 1993, did not pay his taxes on the building for four years. As a result, the Mahoning County treasurer's office foreclosed, put a lien on it and sold that lien to American Tax Funding. Villani said he's involved in a court battle to resolve the $11,000 he owes.

But, he said, his failure to pay taxes was based on a specific decision.

"It was to protest the economy and that there's no help from the city to create daytime business. They're just interested in bars," he said, asserting that he had more foot traffic 10 years ago than today."