News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Grocery Store

Started by jay, September 01, 2010, 01:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

a upscale grocery store will do well esp during the week from m-fri when there are a mixture of five thousands blue/white collar workers in the downtown area.

AllanY2525

I know of two high-rise buildings downtown that are apartment buildings (NOW),
the former Pic-Ohio Hotel, and the building on central square.

Then, of course, there is are the new apartment homes in the Realty building.

iwasthere

it is the business of the city leaders to attract multi-types of businesses to their city that is how a city grows in population and in commerce. rr, city leaders do it all the time by encouraging economic development into the cities. i think the hubbard city leaders do it too.  j williams was going around during his first run for mayor ytown to the downtown residents to put an upscale grocery store in the DOWNTOWN not in the outskirts of ytown downtown. i have shopped at santisi's grocery story and they do carry fresh frts and vegs, dried/can goods, fresh/frozen meats, fish, milk, eggs another groceries items.

Towntalk

WRTA does have a small bus for purposes like that. If a group of folks from these high rises calls WRTA, that bus will come to take them to the store and back home.

http://wrtaonline.com/services_easy_go.html

jay

The store has been there a few years now.  I believe it was first named Michael's.

It's too bad the WRTA doesn't still have the trolley.  A route could have been established to connect the Gutneck, International Towers, and Amedia Plaza highrises to the grocery store.  Service could have been every half hour from about 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Rick Rowlands

They don't do a very good job of advertising their existence.

northside lurker

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on September 01, 2010, 10:36:23 PM
Oh thats funny...  Whining about there not being a downtown grocery store while one exists right under your noses! :)

I didn't realize it was there, and I ride past it twice every day.  I don't think it is a full service grocery store, though.  Has it been there long?  I do know the building was recently (within the last year or two) freshened up on the outside.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Oh thats funny...  Whining about there not being a downtown grocery store while one exists right under your noses! :)

An to iwasthere,
It is NOT a legitimate function of government to "produce" a grocery store in this downtown or any other.  What an absolute perversion of the use of government power.

Towntalk

How do their prices line up for folks on fixed income?

Why?Town

Well I always thought of downtown being from the hill going up to YSU on the north to the river on the south and maybe Belmont or more probably Fifth on the west and somewhere on the other side of the post office to the east.

But now that you bring up the question, I guess my definition of downtown, with regards to a grocery store there, would probably have to expand to any area that would be closer to a downtown grocery store than any other grocery store.

Now I'm curious as to how many people live in each of "my" doentowns.

jay

Depending on your definition of the downtown, Youngstown already has a good downtown grocery store.

Read this story from Shout Youngstown.  Many photos are included.
http://shoutyoungstown.blogspot.com/2010/08/santisis-foods-downtown-youngstowns.html

northside lurker

Quote from: Why?Town on September 01, 2010, 04:08:37 PM
I didn't know the city was in the grocery business.

How many people actuall live down town?

What's your definition of downtown? ;)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

I didn't know the city was in the grocery business.

How many people actuall live down town?

iwasthere

one must put pressure on annie gilliam to produce a grocery store for downtown patrons and its residents. big king long winded mayor j promised to the downtown residents that he would put a grocery store in the downtown if elected. elected to WHAT? >:(

DefendYoungstown

My understanding is Plaza Optical has been purchased. The rumor mill states that the space will be used for another restaurant which will feature Middle Eastern cuisine.