News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Brown Bagging It In Downtown Youngstown

Started by jay, November 09, 2009, 03:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynds

your very welcome Jay....oh, those beer bottles in the flower pots are mine :-X kidding.

I am a little nervous to see what the streets look like tomorrow morning for the race after a busy Friday night. I think I will be bringing the dust pan Saturday monring.

Rick Rowlands

I'll let you in on a little secret, but I like trees as well.  I'm just not so fond of them downtown, where I would rather see the beautiful architecture of most of our downtown buildings.  But since I live out here surrounded by big mature Maples and pines I guess I don't need to see them downtown.

kenneyjoe330

::) POINT well taken  ;D      :-X   AND I AM A TREE HUGGER TOO  :P  Actually I have the stuff in my van but I just HATE to lug it around and the cop at city hall would probably not let me take it all up to court.  I guess I could be Mr Nemetiz to lend me a cart  :laugh:  THEN someone would probably abscam with it all and I would have to start all over and I am too old for that  ;)

RITA is the house's TAKE.  I MUST PAY HER every quarter cause the house I live in is also my home and RITA is very hungry and MUST be fed or otherwise I could end up in her CLINK  ;D
RITA is a acronym for Regional Income Tax Asomething but not quite asssssss.   Sorry I forgot you live in Hubbard.  I hate acronyms and RITA too  :o  I said "house's take cause it is a gamble just living in Youngstown let alone my neigh boorhood.  Where is Mr. Rogers when you need him ?

Rick Rowlands

Yes sure why not.  According to this forum you should also bring along saplings to plant, inspect fire hydrants for leaks, carry some metalworking tools to repair steel fencing that has been run over, and of course eat at a downtown restaurant while there!

Who is Rita?

kenneyjoe330

Give me a break do you mean next time I go downtown Youngstown - lets say for Court Watch - I should bring along a rake, shovel, plastic gloves, trash bags, broom, bleach, rags, maybe True Green, a bucket, tree trimmers among other things AND a camera to take my picture yet WHAT DO I PAY RITA FOR  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???[/]

Mary_Krupa

To come to Jay's defense, as Swierz said, he does more than his fair share. Jay has picked up more trash than probably a 100 people combined. He and his wife, have dedicated their spare time to making Youngstown a better place. They most definitely are unsung heroes.  Thank you, Jay and lovely spouse, CC#4.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

jay

Rick Rowlands

Carry a trash bag and a pair of latex gloves in your camera bag, and the next time you see garbage in the doorway set the camera on 10 second delay and grab a shot of yourself solving the problem.  Don't wait for the cleaning crew, be proactive!

Do you know ho many times I've mowed the grass belonging to the vacant property next to the Tod Engine Heritage Park this year?  I didn't wait for the City's mowers to do it, I did it to help beautify my little piece of Ytown.  If we all pitch in and do our little part that makes the jobs of others easier and maybe they can get even more done.

jay

As of Tuesday, November 10, the litter in the doorway has been removed.

Thanks Lynds!

jay

The photo was taken on Monday, November 9, 2009.

I also noticed several beer bottles in the flower pots along West Federal Street.

A possible way to solve this problem
Locate a bottle and can buy-back recycling center in the downtown area.

Lynds

i believe they only come once a week, when was that photo taken?

jay

If some group was hired to clean the downtown,
why isn't the job getting done?

Towntalk

After a good sweep-up, a jug of streight bleach undeluted would remedy the odor of urine.

Splash the bleach around then with a broom spread it around.

When it comes into contact with the offending substance it may foam up but not to worry, that's a sign that it's doing its job.

Judging from the photo, it may take 2 jugs to cover the area but bleach is dirt cheap.

The bigger question is who owns the building.

northside lurker

I can't speak for Jay, but I certainly wouldn't venture into this area to clean up the bottles.  This area often smells of urine.  So, I'd probably lose my cookies.  (I have seen this area cleaned recently.  While walking past, there were still soap suds laying around.)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison