News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Historic Downtown Building Up For Auction

Started by jay, September 25, 2009, 06:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Here are some notes I was given from a downtown walking tour by Donna DeBlasio:
The Federal Building is notable for several reasons: it was designed by Daniel H. Burnham, it is Youngstown's first sky scraper, and it housed the first offices of the Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company.  Built between 1898-1899, the four story building exhibits elements of both the Neo-Classical Revival and Commercial styles.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Found this on eBay. Note the date 190-.

Frankle Brothers was founded in 1884 so if that building was the origional site that would help date the Federal Building.

sfc_oliver

Not knowing much about 1900 Youngstown, I did see some interesting pictures today. If you get a chance to stop at the surgical center at Southwoods in Boardman there is an entire wall of poster size pictures from the early 1900's through 1960's of Downtown Youngstown, Mill creek and Idora.

The wall is in the cafe area.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Here is the picture. Note the other buildings.

Towntalk

The 1902 date sounds about right because it would match photos in my collection that are from the turn of the century.

Frankle Brothers Cigar Store in one photo occupied the store front on the corner of West Federal and North Phelips. They later moved to a store front on North Phelps, and unless I'm mistaken that store front is now occupied by Pig Iron Press. (I could be mistaken, but it was in that area.)

northside lurker

The auditor's site lists the Federal Building as being built in 1902, and the Wick Building in 1910.

But, the auditor's site also lists the Wick Log Cabin on the north side as being built in 1900.  And, I was under the impression that that structure was one of the first to be built in the area.  So, take the dates (when they go back that far) with a grain of salt.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

In looking through my collection of Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, the first reference I could find for the Federal Building was in the 1907 map. Do you have any further information as to the date? The 1896 map shows a long building that looks like the 1907 image, but is not named.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on September 25, 2009, 09:34:13 AM
That building is as old as the Wick Building. I have photos of it that date back to the early 1900's. It might even go back further.

I think it is older.  This building and the Wick Building were designed by the same Chicago architect, Daniel Burnham.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

That building is as old as the Wick Building. I have photos of it that date back to the early 1900's. It might even go back further.

jay

The Federal Building, 100 West Federal Street, is up for auction on Tuesday, October 20.

This sign is in the front window.  The website address did not work for me.  Notice the "Buy It Now" price at the bottom of the sign.