News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Stambaugh building

Started by northside lurker, June 05, 2008, 06:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Here is what Frangos said about the Stambaugh Building in a Vindicator article from last year:

Frangos is optimistic about the successes of the Wick, Realty and Erie projects. But not so with two other buildings he co-owns: the Stambaugh Building on East Federal Street and the Paramount Theatre on West Federal Street.

Frangos co-owns Stambaugh with Platia Square LLC, a New York City company. The building's sale price was $1.15 million, but Frangos said his company and Platia put up only a small amount of that money, and Stambaugh's ownership will probably revert back to the Seattle company that had owned it. The building's lone rent-paying tenant is Buffalo Wild Wings. Peregrine falcons nest on the building's roof.

"It would make a great hotel site, but we've been told it would cost $15 million" for that project, Frangos said. "It's cost-prohibitive."

So what will the Seattle based company do with the building when they get control of it again?  Hopefully find another buyer for it, or at least stabilize the structure.

Rick Rowlands

Frangos doesn't want the building, and probably wishes he could be rid of it.  I fear for the survival of this structure.  Its on the National Register.  I think that a grassroots effort needs to be created that would advocate for the preservation of this building.  

northside lurker

Here's a picture I took this May.

There were a few missing window panes, but all of the windows were still there. (I think the missing panes blew in during last summer's big storm.)  I don't know why they took out so many, unless they were inspected and deemed to be unstable.

I just hope they replace the windows (and not with plywood!!!) before any bad weather can damage the building.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Elmo-Ytown

It looks like there are hardly any windows left in the place, how many fell out, and how many were missing in the first place? Talk about a pedestrian nightmare, half of downtown is under contruction, and the other half has falling windows...

jay

East Federal is closed in front of the building.  The parking lot next to BW-3 is closed.  There is no access to the sidewalks around the building.

In the photo below, only a few windows are left in the upper floors.

jay

Did BW-3 close?

I've heard the Streetscape group has to rearrange their plans for the Saturday, June 7  flower planting.  Tents will have to be pitched at another location.

northside lurker

I guess this is probably related:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2008/jun/05/pane-glass-window-falls-from-bw-3-in-downtown/?newswatch

I wonder if they will actually fix the windows, or just board them up. ::)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

Does anyone know what's happening with the Stambaugh building?  Many of the windows have been removed.  Are they just replacing the windows, or are there bigger plans?
--Thomas Edison