News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Benefit For Haiti - Please Attend - Sunday, February 7

Started by jay, January 17, 2010, 08:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

jay

Allan,

I found this photo of deforestation on the internet.  If accurate, it is a very serious problem.

AllanY2525

Once the immediate disaster relief efforts are in full swing, I would like to
see a multi-national humanitarian effort to help Haiti with agriculture,
and give Haiti a way to help feed its people decent, nutritious food.

I saw something on a public tv program a while ago, a documentary on
the deforestation of Haiti.  It said that making charcoal is one of the few
ways that Haitians in the slums can make any money, and that their forests
are practically gone - and that the risk of erosion, mud slides, etc is
increasing every day because of this.

With the climate being as warm as it is there, growing crops all year round
is certainly possible.  Once we have "given Haiti a fish", we need to "teach
Haiti how to fish".

iwasthere

RR that is nice commentary but are  you going to help out at the spaghetti dinner that is hosted by st pats church on oakhill ave, ytown to show your humanitarian side? :-X

Rick Rowlands

I heard Hillary Clinton say the other day that the US will support Haiti's government as it rebuilds.  Might as well just throw all your donations into the ocean then if we have to work through the incredibly CORRUPT Haitian government.  It is that government which has largely been responsible for the plight of the Haitians before the earthquake, and it is the lack of building codes, code enforcement and lack of a capitalism friendly environment which has made this disaster much worse than it should have been. 

iwasthere

Quote from: irishbobcat on January 26, 2010, 06:47:34 AM
Members of the Mahoning Valley Green Party will be helping out donating time to serve people at this
event.
this group must be true humanitarians in this big www. i wonder how the others on this forum will respond to the needs of the Haitians?

irishbobcat

Members of the Mahoning Valley Green Party will be helping out donating time to serve people at this
event.

Lynds

the City of Youngstown / Buffalo Wild Wings Downtown Youngstown and the Vida Amor Wellness and Fellowship Ministries will also be hosting a vigil on February 2nd.

more details TBA

iwasthere

rushgal will all the monies from the spaghetti dinner go to the Haiti's benefit? i am leary about giving monies to the ytown catholic diocese esp when the diocese wrote a check for $10,000 to an political action corp in Maine this past  november to defeat same-sex marriage. i would think that kind of monies would have been spent wisely on the poor, disadvantage youth, or any social action groups that tries to help the ytown's downtrodden.

Rushblvd

Thanks for putting this on the forum. If anybody would like to volunteer an hour of there time contact the church @ 330-743-1109 and let them know..

jay

Hoping Forum Members
Are Able To Attend