News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Idea

Started by Towntalk, March 21, 2010, 09:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Irishbob!, come in Irishbob, I was waiting for your call in Poland so we could work together on the green hydraulic ram project.  We have some donors for the pump, you know if we get busy, we could look at using the green hydraulic ram pumps in the Mahoning river.  The Woodland property gives us access to the river with the Market street R/W , just think about the energy the Mahoning river has for YTown, hell, we could harness a waterfall with the river.  Have you googled the hydraulic ram pump yet?  You are the GREEN Leader and we want to follow you.

Youngstownshrimp

Woodland is still the best we have here in YTown and it should be utilized.  The old RR bed below goes under Market street and runs in front of the old Renners Brewery.  The fact that the City owns all the vacant lots on the north side of Woodland is a plus and has been for decades.  We need to offer this land to the MVOC as a pilot project of what they can accomplish since they are yelling for a new landbank.  What I don't understand, is that the land is available now everywhere, without a new landbank and they have done nothing.  For that matter, the City has done nothing with majority of the land they hold.  No, sadly in my opinion, the MVOC is pushing for a county landbank to create new bureaucracy.

Why?Town

Mount Washington is awesome. So awesome that it really shouldn't be mentioned when talking about the plans for East Woodland Ave. You don't talk about Cadillacs when you're selling Cruzes.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be improvement but MW has a lot going for it we just can't match.

AllanY2525

Years ago, when I was in my twenties, I remember going to Pittsburgh and
looking out from Mount Washington... the view was awesome..

Youngstownshrimp

I just had a meeting with TLS productions who run the headliners for the First Night Canfield, they are very interested in helping out with First Night YTown.  They approached the Yellow Creek Theatre to produce concert series as a fund raiser for the libraries.  I spoke with Carlton Sears and we have a set meeting next week, it seems like the go getters are coming to the service to make the area productive.

Youngstownshrimp

I've been familiar with that plat for many years, we actually had Cleveland investors in the 90's designing cantilever homes on that site, we ultimately put one up in Poland overlooking Lowellville.  Structures can go on the 30 some lots on the north side of woodland, below is an abandoned rail bed that could be the foundation site.  The City owns all the lots and they have utilities and old sewer taps.  This property continues under Market and ends at Oak Hill.  I still have the old plat in my dwg. bin.

john r. swierz

At one point in the 90's council talked about creating cliff side housing on the Woodland Ave site. If you extended Hadnett St and created  a new Woodland Ave  in line with Hadnett to where and old part of Erie is, it could be done.

Penguins37

Creating Woodland Avenue as a scenic vista would require clear cutting the majority of the southern side of the roadway, thus, no more "Woodland".  Also, Woodland is primarily an industrial corridor connection the Wastewater Treatment Plant and Performance Place to Market Street and I680. 

There are a number of other areas where we could better utilize funds to create public gathering areas.

Towntalk

Back in the mid 1960's I worked for a time out of Pittsburgh and am familiar with Mount Washington so this idea strikes me as an interesting one.

Youngstown has a potential 'Mount Washington' view of its own

http://www.vindy.com/news/2010/mar/21/youngstown-has-a-potential-8216mount-was/