News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Housing Problems In Youngstown

Started by JoyceFarrell, June 14, 2018, 11:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoyceFarrell

Why?Town you are a diamond set in a 24c gold ring. I was just expressing choices we all make in life. I came from a generation where it was normal to find two and three generations living under one roof. As a child I knew both my Great Grandfather and Grandmother. They shared the first floor with my Grandmother while Mother, Dad and I lived on the 2nd floor of our house.

By the way my friend, you might want to visit my facebook page and enjoy some of the video's that are there.

This little clip is for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzhk2aheNfI

Why?Town

JoyceFarrell,

Sorry if I came across as trying to cause you any problems. Based on what you've posted and the choices you've made, I fully believe you are a great person. You did what you though you should have done and it doesn't seem like you wanted someone else to do it for you. It's hard to be better than that.

And I sure do hope you go at least another 20 years and 6 or so weeks and never lose any ability.

JoyceFarrell

To All:

You'll notice that I made no personal comments pro or con. You'll also notice that I did not respond to comments made, nor will I.

I will be 80 on July 29th I was in the work force for 40 years and only retired when my health took a downturn. I gave 3 years to church service. 2 years while in high School. so when it's all totaled up I was in the work force for a total of 45 years. For the 40 year period Because of my Mother and Father both with major heath problems (Cancer and a bad heart) I stayed at home so that I could care for them  rather than send them off to nursing homes, and 50% of my pay checks went into the family pot. All this was my duty and I did it out of love.

Because of the choices I made, if anything happened that would make it impossible for me to care for myself., I have no one to see to my affairs. To be perfectly honest when I am about to reach that point, I hope that I will die.

Some will say that I made a whole lot of bad choices, but I don't think so.

Why?Town

FWIW, my mother, at 75 yrs old, still rents out what I still call grandma's apartment that's attached to the house I grew up in, in a very safe neighborhood within sight of the fairly new Girard High School. She charges $450 a month. It has a decent sized bedroom with a pretty huge closet, a nice bathroom, a kitchen with a small dinette table and a living room about the same size as the bedroom that seems larger because the wall between it and the kitchen is only about 4 1/2, maybe 5 feet high. She supplies electricity, gas, heat. The refrigerator and oven/stove are permanent and we install a window air conditioner every spring. It even includes cable TV but she may charge the extra $25 a month that she has to pay for the cable box.

I don't want anybody to have problems with having a place to live, anywhere.

I do want facts based on facts. Unfortunately most articles generally inform readers in certain ways to impact how some people will end up seeing something.

Again I will state: I don't want anybody to have problems with having a place to live.

Questions (and some answers) I have after reading the first article.

While one worker may possibly need to earn "almost double the minimum wage" for a two bedroom apartment, why would a single worker need two bedrooms?  I bet most of the time it's for the kids of that single parent. If both parents were there, each could have a job.

Shouldn't a workers plan be to gain experience to get a better job? Get some experience on McDonalds minimum wage cash register then move on to someplace like Aldi. They're paying new hires $11 or $12 per hour. I'm pretty sure Walmart is paying $11 also.

The article states the fair market value (wherever that comes from) in Ohio and says it's even higher in cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati. Well what about cities like Youngstown and Warren? I bet it's somewhat less in our cities or they would have mentioned it.

Then it says 7 of 10 occupations that are supposed to grow, many of which are service jobs, only provide a median wage that is lower than the housing wage (wherever that comes from too). It then mentions personal care aids as being one of the "underpaid" jobs yet fails to mention what the other "underpaid" jobs are. It would be great to have a list of jobs people could try to avoid when looking for a job or maybe that list could even create a cause against employers of those jobs to help push pay upward. Why is the article avoiding that?

For some reason they felt the need to give us important numbers like (an increase by nearly) 10 million and (since) 2005. Both both numbers look pretty nice together (or even apart) but nearly 10 million more renters isn't really 10 million more and 2005 was 13 years ago. 13? Not really a nice number at all. If they wanted to get the real 10 million it needed an extra year or two in which case they'd had to have used a somewhat less nice number like 2004 or 2003.  Then strangely enough they tell us about high end rental construction going (an unknown, and unmentioned %) up over the past ten years. Well how much was that increase, and if you base it on the same 13 yrs used above does it get worse or better? I'll bet it wouldn't get worse because they didn't use it in the article. FWIW nearly 10 million over 13 yrs comes to nearly 770,000 per year. Considering that numbers change every year, it would be nice to know if that number is currently going up or down and by how much.  And now that I think about it, how many of the 10 million are part of the low income renters and how many are renting those expensive places? And the 10 million is what % of the total renters? Is it a 100% increase? A 50% increase? heck it could be a 2% increase. If it's a really big increase they definitely would have shared that.

Then they talk about the number of very expensive rentals going up 97% while the number of cheap rentals dropped by 2%.  Is it really a problem if more well paid people are renting really nice places instead of buying? Is there a supposed problem with people renting those apartments in downtown Youngstown or anywhere?  Either way these are % numbers that must have been more important than defining the numbers I mentioned above.

And OMG! There aren't enough older structures that become more affordable over time for the low-income renters to rent. Things get old and sometimes not kept properly. Maybe we should be forcing the expensive places to kick out the people that can afford to be there and lower the rent at the same time?

And now I'm going to remind anyone that made it through this post.

I don't want anybody to have problems with having a place to live. I do have problems with how and why  articles are written.

Rushblvd

Thanks for sharing this information. As many think Section 8 covers everything there is much more to that story..

I can't believe the cost of rent in todays market, wow.. :(