News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New Food Stamp Scheme

Started by JoyceFarrell, February 13, 2018, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Why?Town

I wasn't implying they should get peoples left overs or be sold old products.  And I don't have a problem with them having good products.

The current food stamps is now called SNAP or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

I have seen things like three sheets of cake for a child's birthday party. Three sheets? How many people can you need to invite to this party?

Another thing I just noticed last month is a self made milkshake machine at Speedway where you pick your flavor out of the freezer and run the machine to make it. There were two stickers on that freezer, one said "$2.99" the other said " Food Stamps Accepted".

What is the nutritional benefit of either one of those? At least I could understand the use for one birthday cake at a party but a milkshake at a gas station?

I've also seen a grocery cart 1/2 full of pretty good looking steaks. Nothing else just steaks and a food stamp card (many years ago) to pay for it.

Seems like these things I mentioned, plus many more, aren't quite anywhere close to your ability to budget your food money. Something that I consider to be quite honorable.

I think food stamps used to be only for foods that weren't ready to be eaten but now there are some states allowing some fast food restaurants to accept SNAP cards. 

JoyceFarrell

So should they only eat everyon elses leavings?

How about this, set aside a section of the stores where SNAP folks could use their cards. and in this section would be food nearing it's sell by date, baked goods would be week old products; and produce would be that which can no longer be sold to those with cash, and to insure that these welfare people can't sneek in good products, their cards could only be accepted in the section for welfare people.

During my 50 working years I learned to budget my food money and ate pritty darn good. After I retired with no pension to suppliment Social Security I could no longer afford the kinds of food I bought during my working years, but I quickly learned how to budget my money so that I can't complain, but I never begrudge others of what they buy. My mother taught me will and I've been able to set a budget and more often than not end up spendng under that budget. I only went over my budget once.

I do not buy junk food, cerials pop. or candy. I do not smoke or drink, I do not eat out at fast food places and as a result at the end of the month all my bills have been paid and I have a nice little balance in the bank.

I do not run to the doctor for anything, nor do I give to every outfit that tries to hit me up for money.

Finally, I do not go to shows or concerts. I have more than enouth to entertain myself without having to spend a single dime.

Why?Town

I've been behind people using food stamps for all kinds of food I couldn't afford too many times.

I've also heard some mention that it's not fair to change what these people get because inmates in prison get free food. Really? I'm pretty sure the inmates don't get to choose the most expensive food.

JoyceFarrell

http://wkbn.com/2018/02/13/white-house-wants-to-replace-food-stamps-with-food-delivery/

Why not just end the program completely. Just think of the savings.