News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown/Warren Airport

Started by jay, November 21, 2010, 07:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

So many complaining about Airport security? Not really, the polls I've heard about say that 80% have no problem with the scanners.

Remember that the world changed on 9-11-01, if we do not change a little with it then we will lose. Tougher security at the airports is not giving up our freedoms but ensuring them. If we can find a better less intrusive way of guaranteeing that our people, our families, arrive at their destinations safely then by all means we should use it.

The Israelis have a near perfect record, but I'm not so certain their methods would work in the USA. Are we willing to have armed guards in our airports walking around talking to people? Are we willing to be interviewed by perfect strangers who could ask some personal questions? The Israelis profile everyone.

No doubt we can do better, but someone needs to tell me how. Did you hear about the soldier, (one of a group being deployed), who was carrying his rifle and a pistol and they stopped him from carrying a nail file?  Yes we can do better.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

ytowner

If you have any questions in regards to the airport, I am your guy... I've been interning up there this semester.

Why?Town

I am going to start this post by thanking all military for their sacrifices for America's freedoms.

Now i will take issue with Mr. Hugenberg. He mistakenly believes that the airport secrurity measures and the sacrifices of the military are aiming for the same goal. They are not. Security and freedom are not the same thing and with freedom comes no guarantee of safety. According to Ben Franklin, Mr. Hugenberrg deserves neither. I tend to agree.

jay

The scanner device uses low dose Xrays.  Some frequent flyers don't want to have repeated exposure to Xrays.

joly1584

This website lists 80+ airports with the full body scanners:

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2010/11/15/165132/48/travel/An+Updated+List+of+the+80%2B+Airports+with+Full-Body+Scanners

Our airport is not on the list, nor is Akron's.  I would guess it has something to do with cost versus amount of air traffic.

When I travel by air it is to Denver or Omaha so it is easier to fly out of Cleveland or Pittsburgh.  I would rather go through the scanner than a pat down.

This letter in today's Vindy sum's it up quite nicely.

QuoteWho pays the price of freedom?

Please, soldier, go over there and protect me. Stand in the way of terror. Take a bullet, run into battle for me. Just don't make me go through airport security. I'm not willing to give up that much for my freedom. I'm only willing to give up yours.

Paul Hugenberg, Poland

jay

Does our airport have one of those body scan devices that sees through clothes?

If not, would you subject yourself to a body pat down as seen on TV?