News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Is It A Lawn Or A Sidewalk? (photo for today)

Started by jay, October 11, 2010, 05:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Ive always been of the opinion that sidewalks should be the responsibility of the owner of the road.  The sidewalk is nothing but a separate lane of travel, designed for use of pedestrians.  As such it is a part of the road proper, and is the responsibility of government to maintain.  It is not practical to assume that property owners will have the resources to maintain a part of the roadway, when they are already paying taxes to maintain those roadways. 

kenneyjoe330

Unless the "rules" have changed as of late - I too, as does Why?Town, believe sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owners.  Does anyone know what the 2010 Plan has to say about this ?   Moving on - with that thought left behind - - - I think with the proper legislation AND ENFORCEMENT the property owner should be held accountable for their own property - including sidewalks AND demolition.   We had Judge Millich speak concerning Housing Court at one of the 7 TH Ward Citizens Coalition Meetings and it was a real eye opener.  OK so Youngstown doesn't have the money to fix the sidewalks (or demolish all the houses that need demolished) but tell me they do not have the POWER through legislation and ENFORCEMENT to make SOMETHING happen?  Where is the plan?  How many twisted ankles or falls would have to be registered by YSU Students to get that sidewalk fixed?  Yes there are many people on very limited income who may not afford new sidewalks - this know fact should have a PLAN for those people - where's the plan?

jay

In many cases, the worst sidewalks are in front of abandoned houses or vacant land.  No "property owner" will ever fix or replace them.   When/if we ever shrink our city, let's use the money saved to take care of the viable areas of the city.

I'm pretty sure this photo was taken if front of a vacant building on West Rayen Avenue.

Why?Town

Although the sidewalks are on the road right of way, in most places they are the responsiblity of the property owner.

Rick Rowlands

Please choose a city service that should be cut to pay for the sidewalk maintenance.  Remember, city governments cannot print money like the federal government does.

jay

This stretch of sidewalk is located on West Rayen Avenue between Fifth and Belmont.  The YSU School of Education building is in the background.  It looks more like a lawn than a sidewalk. 

The city has to do a better job of maintaining the public walkways in our city.  I would like to see some money spent each year to replace defective sidewalks in areas we are trying to showcase such as YSU.