News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"DECONSTRUCTION a failure?"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, September 14, 2010, 10:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

As I have written for years, if only they truly run deconstruction as a true innovative business instead of slopping at the trough.  But you know,they really probably have no idea how to start a business and are too proud to ask.

Youngstownshrimp

Disgusting!  I wake up this morning and see the YNDC must have suckered the Wean Foundation or some donor into subsidizing the failed deconstruction project again.  Like ACORN that morphs into MVOC or YNDC, they sweep under the rug all the money that the Deconstruction Bureaucrats wasted last time.  Unbelievable how the entitled of Youngstown have no shame, but you know what , what do we expect anyway, true leadership, track record, qualifications? 
The problem with America today, we are led by unqualified, recordless leaders.

Rick Rowlands

I sent you a PM.  Check your forum messages.

Rick Rowlands

Great!  I may have a need to build a pole building in Struthers, and would like to use deconstructed lumber in its construction. 

Actually, this project might be good PR for the deconstruction program.  It would be an enginehouse for our new locomotive, 20' wide x 48' long, and can be built out of 2x6 lumber.  It would also have electrical service generated exclusively by solar panels charging a bank of batteries.   Even the steel siding is a recycled material and is locally made (Mingo Jct.). 

Maybe this project could turn into something that you, me, Dennis and a few others could work together on and make into a demonstration project for deconstruction, renewable energy, historic preservation and community involvement.  We can even use it as a site for experimenting with the hydraulic ram pumps since it would be 75 feet from the Mahoning River.

Any takers?

Youngstownshrimp

Well there are a 164 hits on this post apparently interested in deconstruction.  It doesn't seem like our public servant wants to address what the taxpayer paid him to do.  I guess I will continue this topic that I started.  First , I have track record in recycling houses, my company in the 80's house moved over 52 houses across the country when Novotny was still pooping his pants.  The last structure was the historic Augdon house in Poland that I was contracted to move, it is now a show piece in Poland.

So, with my track record to back me, when Novotny first found out that deconstruction required EPA testing, he should have conceded that demo. is sufficient enough because it comes with salvage rights.  He should then have switched his focus on finding end users for the material instead of putting it on the contractors like he told Rick.  If Novotny approached the Amish in Trumbull county or made a thorough plan for "Restore", he might have kept this thing alive.  Novotny is correct wherein just demolition is wrong.  Another thing he could have proposed is that with the program of exempting property owners from demolition cost if they sign over the deed, the City should stockpile the houses that are not a problem for future salvaging.  In other words, let the houses sit as assets of the City until an end user could be found.

Lastly, Novotny when you only provide mudslinging in your answers, it is obvious to most good people that you are dodging the issues like a true bureaucrat.

The post was reported to the moderator regarding the passage"
"while pooping his pants
"

ForumManager

Deconstruction seems to be working out very well for the thieves that strip the buildings and cause them to be added to the demolition list.

Youngstownshrimp

Novotny, in other words with all your spin here, there is no more "Pork" money for your defunct project.  Apparently, you couldn't make it work.  What you wouldn't say is that deconstruction cannot work unless it is heavily subsidized and YOU and the CDA failed at making it a stand alone enterprise.

You can't fool us the people with the ranting you just wrote here.  Let's stick to DECONSTRUCTION, aside from all the phone calls you had, please tell us that a significant amount of structures are now being deconstructed and Habitat for Humanity or the Amish are rushing into Ytown to deal in recycled material because a certain MR. Novotny was successful in spending taxpayer money to create a new deconstruction industry in Youngstown.

Youngstownshrimp

Very good Novotny, now we are getting a little accountability.

BTW Steve, tell the public what we accomplished training  JFS individuals, here's a hint , the stone park when you enter Poland.  If you need more community projects, let me know, and we never did ask for a grant.

Rushblvd

Youngstownshrimp

Rick,  I have millions of the old Williamson school brick at our brickyard, when do you want them?

Rick Rowlands

One of the problems with deconstruction that was never addressed is the code prohibition against utilizing used building materials in a new building project. Another problem was that I have never seen any solicitation for bids or notices of sale of the deconstructed materials.  I can use a couple of truckloads of brick, and lots of lumber for concrete forms, and was hoping that the deconstruction program could supply them at a lower cost than buying new. 

Where is all the material from the Wick Pollock deconstruction project?

Youngstownshrimp

According to the Vindy.com. the City has now closed its deconstruction project because it is not cost effective.  When the idea of deconstruction first came out, I attended the meeting and applauded the recycling of material.  There were big dreams about the process and how YTown could be a surplus material center with stockpiles of material stored on City owned vacant lots to be liquidated en masse.  Then we all heard how an intern wrote a grant for himself and was to spearhead this new endeavor.  Two councilmen were ridiculed for opposing the grant being used to employ Mr. Novotny, stating that with the 30K grant additional abandoned houses could be demoed.  I guess the councilmen were right, 30K down the tubes.  As stated I initially supported deconstruction but then as usual it seemed to become a "Pork" initiative and after asking Novotny back in Dec. to provide answers and facts, he took the approach of "we don't have the need to know" and did not provide public information.  The cycle continues, new blood comes into the City with idealism without track record and again we suffer.  Will Mr. Novotny return our taxpayer money?

Moderator report:  libelous and defamatory