News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Hidden Brothel

Started by Youngstownshrimp, August 10, 2010, 10:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

northside lurker

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on August 19, 2010, 11:33:58 PM
My suggestion is to remove the structure around the F/P and utilize  it as an outside grill and maybe erect a pavilion around it.  Since he wishes to urban farm the acreage, this maybe a sort of produce selling area.

That sounds like a great idea.  If you could make the fireplace usable, that might allow the owner to continue to use the area for events later into the fall.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

Yesterday the investor of the hidden brothel has viewed the stone fireplace and wishes to save it.  He is going to see the City about halting the demolition of the structure until he can come up with a plan on how to preserve the fireplace.  My suggestion is to remove the structure around the F/P and utilize  it as an outside grill and maybe erect a pavilion around it.  Since he wishes to urban farm the acreage, this maybe a sort of produce selling area.

Shar

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on August 16, 2010, 08:10:51 AM
Rick, we speak the same language and it is from experience and track record.  What track records do our leaders have?

Huh????      What leaders??   What does this have to do with this topic??

Youngstownshrimp

Rick, we speak the same language and it is from experience and track record.  What track records do our leaders have?

Rick Rowlands

This is probably what I would do:

Demolish the red brick chimney above the fireplace down to the beginning of the granite.  Carefully dismantle the structure of the house around the fireplace, being especially careful to remove the queen post beam without it coming down on the sandstone lintel.  Then demolish the rest of the house as normal and backfill the basement up around the fireplace.  Now you have a fireplace sitting out by itself and it can be more easily moved.  To move it I would chisel three large holes through the fireplace below the floor level, then slide beams through those holes.  Place two more beams alongside the fireplace supporting the first three.  Now you have a framework that will support the fireplace as it is lifted onto a trailer for transport. 

Youngstownshrimp

Yesterday I had my weekly meeting with the investor of the Hidden Brothel and I made my report to him.  He was very interested in the history of the acreage and has decided not to demolish the fireplace.  We also are planning to bring in a larger machine with plans on taking down the high brick chimney and removing the debris surrounding the fireplace.  One issue which was discussed was the possibility of moving the ancient fireplace.  His question was made based on the fact that I have moved over 52 houses across the country with the last structure being the 1835 Augdon house moved in Poland.  The fireplace can be moved albeit costly, the answer is if there are any end users for the fireplace who will step forward. 

BTW, to dispel the rumourmongers, the house is already destroyed and the investor is not a developer, last time I checked, there has been no development on the Sharon line for the last 60 or more years LOL.  Unless one considers all the Choice homes that were built with pork,  I couldn't believe you have to rent the houses for 15 years and then you can buy them for 80K.  I wonder who were the brains that came up with this waste of money.

ForumManager

WOW that is very similar. The one at the site seemed larger and much more rustic to me ... maybe just because everything is in a shambles.
The mantel was a very large flat stone with stone corbel type supports.
The guys made comment that the stone probably wasn't sandstone - seemed harder.

Shar

Great pictures!!  I think that is a living room fireplace.  The shelves don't seem to fit a cooking fireplace.  The stone work in the fireplace actually reminds me of the fireplace in my home.  I will attempt to attach a picture to see the similiarities.  This pic was taken right after my hubby sandblasted 2 coats of paint off the stone.  My house was built in 1906 and the fireplace is in the livingroom. The layout of the stonework is very close. 

Towntalk

I agree Jay, a lot of thought went into it, and obviously it wasn't a cooking fireplace.

ForumManager

Quote from: jay on August 13, 2010, 09:39:19 AM
That fireplace was impressive.  How large was the room in which it was located?

Could the trough have been for watering horses or livestock?  How close was it to the main building?

What room?  LOL It was hard to tell since everything is collapsed. Maybe Rick or Shrimp can speculate since they've been inside.

troughs was my guess too but according to Rick, they look  like they might have had lids and are really quite large and it was also pointed out to me that they were  far from a water source.

jay

That fireplace was impressive.  How large was the room in which it was located?

Could the trough have been for watering horses or livestock?  How close was it to the main building?

ForumManager

One of outbuildings that wasn't primarily frame seemed to be a combo of building materials.  The metal on the wall was a coal grate?  I think that was what Rick said.

ForumManager

The troughlike sturctures -these were pretty large.  Hard to tell by the photo.  As with everything else very overgrown. 

ForumManager

more