News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Hot Weather Questions

Started by jay, July 06, 2010, 05:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: jay on July 07, 2010, 09:41:47 PM
The WRTA buses are air conditioned.  I wouldn't suggest riding the bus all day just to stay cool.

If you do decide to ride the bus just to stay cool, don't tell the driver.  Yesterday, a driver refused to admit someone who said they were just going for a ride, and not going anywhere. (this was while parked at Federal Station)  Even though they appeared to have a pass, because they didn't have a destination, the driver  refused to let them ride.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

irishbobcat

The city of Columbus, Ohio will be opening 4 city fire hydrants Thursday for 2 1/2 hours for residents to jump in and cool off in....

My God, good thing Ricky doesn't live in Columbus, he would be leading the protest of

wasting tax dollars and water on the poor!

Rick Rowlands

jay

I would hope that a least one of the cooling stations would be on an existing bus route.

Towntalk

Not a good idea Jay considering what it would cost the passangers. Unless a person has a weekly pass they would have to pay full fare each trip.

[ WRTA Station to the end of the line = 1 trip.  End of the line to WRTA Station = 1 trip.]

Transfers are good only once so the passanger can't keep asking the driver for another.

jay

The WRTA buses are air conditioned.  I wouldn't suggest riding the bus all day just to stay cool.

irishbobcat

I see Ricky continues to beat up on the poor when it comes to this heat.....

Ricky....do you believe in helping the poor at anything.....?

Scrooge has nothing over you......

Mary

Jay we do not have AC and my thermostat read 93 at the highest. At 7 am it read 80 degrees.

northside lurker

A group of people that I neglected to mention in my previous post, in addition to those who are just not used to the heat, are those who have health problems.  Some health problems make it impossible for the afflicted to "get used to" the heat.

Where does the poor old lady with emphysema go, when her 35 year old window air conditioner finally fails?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Emergency facility that can be used around the clock?  Hotels with good A/C. 

Oh you're looking for a free lunch....

My bad.

jay

KenneyJoe

Just curious
How hot did it get in the house yesterday and today?
How much does it cool down overnight?

kenneyjoe330

When I was "out there" carrying mail - I wore a wet hankie on my head under my pith helmet - then I wore another wet hankie around my neck.  I always carried a thermos with cold water - some of which I drank and some of which I used for soaking the hankies  8)  it got me through the hot and tree less parts of my route.  I sure don't know how my Dad did it for 45 years at Youngstown Sheet and Tube  :o well ok the last few years he had air conditioning - he was a pit recorder  8) and HAD to work in air conditioning  8) but we sure didn't have it at home and I still don't have it - but I am sure the time is coming when we will get one  ;D ;D ;D  I would rather deliver mail in 10 degree weather than above the mid eighties and above with high humidity.

northside lurker

I was thinking along the same lines as Rick for the cooling centers.  One could spend the worst part of the afternoon at the mall.  By the time the mall closes, the worst of the heat is over.

However, I do agree that this is oppressive heat, if you're not used to it.  If I were out working in this weather, I'd need more than just an occasional drink.  Based on past experience, I'd drink about 2 gallons of water in about 8 hours.

When the Chaney HS renovations were underway, I visited the site on a hot day like this.  I was amazed by the workers in the boiler room, who were using plasma torches to cut up and remove the old boilers.  After spending 5 minutes in that room, it made the 90 degrees outside feel cool and refreshing.
--Thomas Edison

jay

I don't believe most of the locations you mentioned would want a large amount of people spending the day and possibly the night at their establishments.

I was referring to an emergency facility that could be used around the clock. 

Rick Rowlands

Oppressive heat?  I've been outside at the Tod Engine Heritage Park for the last two days building concrete forms, digging trenches and moving slag.  All I need is an occasional drink and to stay out of the direct sunlight.  Its not that bad.

As for cooling centers, they are called retail establishments, restaurants, malls, etc. All have A/C.