News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Original Mahoning County Fair

Started by Towntalk, June 27, 2010, 09:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

The Trumbull County Agricultural Society was organized, according to Hon. Elisha Whittlesey, in 1818. In an address delivered before the Mahoning County Agricultural Society in 1860, he makes the following statement:
"My belief is that the first agricultural society in this State, if not the first west of the Allegheny mountains, was organized in Youngstown. A notice, given at the request of several gentlemen interested in agricultural science, was published in the Chronicle, at Warren, on the 26th of November, 1818, requesting a meeting of the farmers of Youngstown and adjacent towns, at James Hillman's, in Youngstown, on the 2d of December following, for the formation of an agricultural society. 'Farmers from a distance are requested to attend, as views are entertained that this society will embrace the agricultural interests of the whole country.' That notice T have no doubt was drawn from Judge George Tod, who was enthusiastically devoted to agriculture, horticulture and gardening. * * * * On the day appointed the meeting was held. George Tod, William Rayen and Calvin Pease were a committee to prepare and report articles of association. The report was made in due time, and the first article was as follows: ' The name of this Society shall be The Agricultural Society of Trumbull County, and the objects of the Society are the promotion and improvement of agriculture, rural economy and domestic manufactures.' At the second meeting George Tod was elected President. The Society continued in existence four years, and stimulated the farmers, or many of them, to adopt improvements in cultivation ; and the females vied with each other in fabricating various articles of domestic wear." (Agricultural Report, 1860, pp. 426-427.) This was many years before the erection of Mahoning county, which occurred in 1846.

Towntalk

Towntalk

Ahhhhh that was too easy. You nailed it.

northside lurker

Looks like it's between Fifth Ave, and Belmont, a couple blocks north of Broadway.  The only street name I can read, and was one of the clues, is Ford Ave.  Then, I see what looks like H.K. Wick Land Co. where Wick Park is now.

If I'm right, I wonder if this is how Fairgreen Ave. got it's name?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

In 1818 - 1819 the first County Fair Association was created and a site for the fairs was selected. Where was that site located.

The clue can be found in this illistration.