News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Historic Photos of Youngstown Fire Stations

Started by AllanY2525, March 09, 2010, 12:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

I recognized the Market Street station right away - because of the cylindrical
bump-out in the front of the building, where the staircase must be.

Kinda reminds me of an old castle...  is anyone using the old Market Street station
for anything these days?

I wish I could find more issues of the Ohio Architect Engineer and Builder magazine.
This was an awesome publication - and there must have been other local Youngstown
Architects featured in other issues.

I've been using Fedora Linux, a program called "PDFTK", and the GIMP graphics
manipulation program to extract these old PDF pages... great stuff. 

GIMP can import a PDF page and convert it to a standard graphic image file, ie: jpeg,
windows bitmap, etc.  PDFTK can burst PDF files into their individual pages, or put
together a new PDF file from separate pages.

GIMP allows you to set the resolution when it imports the images, so that you can
get nice, large, clear image files.  It's a lot like using a page bed scanner on a paper
document - with the resolution set very high.

yfdgricker

Looking at the full article, there is another photo of Station 7 on page 47 with the firefighters stationed there standing out front. Farther in the back was the original architects drawing of the station.

I would love to find floor plans of both of those stations.

yfdgricker

Awesome! There were definitely a few construction changes to Station 7 based on that photo and what the 1910 book shows. Most notably was the center window between the apparatus doors. It's almost as if they had to make the station a little narrower and took out the center window to do it.

I've not seen the photo of Station 8 before. I hadn't realized that E. Rufus Thompson was the architect on both buildings.

Allan, can you scan the two station photos at a larger size for me like around 2000 pixels in height? Also would it be possible to get a copy of the article, I'd love to read it?

Disregard the above section, you already had the document scanned and uploaded on your allthingsyoungstown.net site :) Thank you !

AllanY2525

Greg,

I found these photos in an issue of the Ohio Architect Engineer and Builder magazine,
which was a feature article on E. Rufus Thompson - the Youngstown Architect who
designed the No. 7 fire station at Madison and Elm Street, as well as the old station
on Market Street.

I thought you might find the photos interesting - especially the photo of the No. 7
station, as it shows the building with the third floor that it used to have.

Enjoy...

:)