News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

We Need Single-Payer Health Care Now!

Started by irishbobcat, May 24, 2009, 08:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

our2cents

That wouldn't surprise me, the average people can't just show up and speak their minds. 

Another thing I realized, if we went to a single payer healthcare system, we would then no longer be an open market society which goes against everything this nation stands for.

Now, if they want to expand the medicaid program for those borderline folks that can't obtain insurance, or even provide a realistic pay for coverage program, then I could see that.  I've been in that borderline group with a huge 700.00 spend down per month....that's pretty unrealistic.  And in that case it made my family realize how important our private insurance is.

jay

I watched the Bill Moyer show on PBS this past Friday.  During the program, the senate committee on health care was covered.  Several people in the audience spoke out and asked why a single-payer system was not a proposal being considered by the committee.  The single-payer advocates were promptly removed from the hearing room and arrested.

???

our2cents

A lot of people think this is the answer, but I personally don't see it...  If my medical was only paid by one individual organization, I would be fighting for every single time they need to do another MRI or CT on me.  I know many who live on Medicaid only, and they are even having trouble receiving the care they need.  I also know many in Canada that also can not receive the care they need. 

And, on top of that, what about the few million jobs that would be lost from those who work in the insurance industry?  It is one of the few businesses that is barely staying afloat at this economic time....they don't make money off of premiums, they make it from investments into the stock market...go figure...oh wait, it's figured already because that is how almost all the large corporations are making money.  It sort of reminds me of a pyramid scheme with business these days, depend on the stock market and we'll prosper, and then it collapses and there goes income.

irishbobcat

Our country has the most expensive health care system in the world, yet we were ranked 37th by the World Health Organization in 2000.

The Green Party advocates for health care as a right for all, and we support a Single-Payer system as the most efficient and effective way to get there.  We are the only political party to do so.  A Single-Payer system would eliminate the for-profit insurance companies, lower the cost of health care in the United States by as much as one third, and would remove the financial burden on businesses suffering from the recent economic meltdown - replacing employee-based health care benefits.

But Single-Payer has been barred from the public debate because of the influence of insurance, HMO's, and pharmaceutical lobbies through campaign contributions, 'astroturf' (false grassroots) operations, and dishonest advertising.

The health care reform debate demonstrates why America desperately needs an independent noncorporate party. Democratic and Republican politicians are swimming in campaign donations from the insurance industry, receiving over $46 million in insurance money in 2008.  There is no Single-Payer voice at the table.

Dennis Spisak
Mahoning Valley Green Party
Ohio Green Party
www.ohiogreens.org
www.votespisak.org/thinkgreen/