News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Taking It To The Slumlords

Started by jay, October 24, 2008, 08:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

We have a county ordinance here in Maryland that requires all landlords living within
Montgomery County to register their rental properties on an annual basis - the
fee to the property owner is about $150 per year, and brings with it an inspection
by a county-employed building inspector.

Failure to register a rental property here will get you fined - QUICKLY.  If your
property fails inspection, the county will give you a short period of time (30 days?)
to correct the violations, after that the tenant(s) will be told to leave the property
and the landlord is not allowed to rent it again until all violations have been corrected
and the property has been re-inspected.

FYI

kenneyjoe330

I am sorry I forgot the man's name - it is not a secret - maybe someone else will know.  I do know that he owns homes all around Youngstown but mainly on the South and West side from what I understand.  We will picket ONLY if meetings with city officials fail to initiate change for the better with his properties.
There were a few "Property Owners" at this meeting and they tried to get their point across.  When one kept interupting someone in the audience told him in no uncertain term to "shut up"  :-X which the "PO" did ( I would have shut up too if that big guy told me to too  :-X)  Then another "PO" took his place and was told by someone in the audience to "get out of the business" if it was so difficult.  I kind of liked that answer :laugh:
I have been doing some thinking  ::) and I think we ought to picket City Hall and the Mayor's house instead  :o  Why - you ask ? ? ?   Well there has been a Landlord Registration Program passed by City Council YEARS ago - it just seems that THIS Mayor as well as the two previous Mayors just find reasons for not implementing the program.  The plan included fees (I believe $10.00 per unit per year? or something along those lines)  This money would then be used for inspections and compliance with codes.  Sometimes I wounder if Campaign Contributions have something to do implementing the program!

Shirley

Can you give me a hint to who the landlord is?  Are the houses they own just on the South side? There are a few landlords on the West side that our block watch have had complaints about. Just courious
thanks

jay

Last night citizens of the southeast side voted to put pressure on the slumlords who own problem rental properties.  The group has targeted one slumlord for its first action.  If the slumlord does not bring his property into compliance, the group will picket his business and/or home.