News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Painted Bands On Utility Poles

Started by jay, August 08, 2008, 07:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Please list the location of one of these poles that still has the orange paint on it.

yfdgricker

The white and red bands did signify where Fire Department pull (call) boxes were located. See the attached photo for an example from my fire collection.

Mary_Krupa

I noticed today that there are quite a few of the bus stop poles still around in the greater Brownlee Woods area. All rusted.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

john r. swierz

The red bands that were painted on telephone/electric poles were where fire dept pull boxes were located. If citizens  spotted a fire they would pull it and it would notify the F.D alarm room .  they were all pulled in the early 90's. As mary stated the 5' high X 6''  wide steel post were painted orange and black and were bus stops.
jrs

Towntalk

At one time they also had black metal pipes that also designated bus stops, and I haven't seen any of those in years. Are any of those still around? Here on Elm Street it seems that the bus stop is just about anywhere along the route. I know that the bus stops in front of my house several times a week and I live between two designated bus stops. (Not complaining.)

jay

Thanks for the information.  I would like to photograph some of these poles before they all disappear.

Mary_Krupa

Jay, the orange painted poles were bus stops. I used to ride the bus mainly in the 70's and we stood by those to get on the bus. There is still one across from Elmo's at Buckeye Circle and Loveland but it's all rusted out.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

jay

I still see some red bands painted on utility poles.   I believe the red bands were used to signify a bus stop at some point in our city's mass transit history.

Questions

Were orange bands also painted on utility poles to indicate a bus stop?
Do any of the poles with orange bands still exist?  Where?

Were the painted bands used prior to the creation of the WRTA?