News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

South Avenue Restaurant To Get A New Paint Job

Started by jay, August 07, 2008, 05:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

The Hong Kong was directly behind the G.C. Murphy store (Silvers today). The smells alone were enough to want you to try everything on their menu, and the service was impecable and with graciousness not seen in most restaurants today. They weren't satisfied unless you were completely satisfied, another trate lacking in most restaurants today.

cc4

I just realized the Chinese was on the corner of Commerce and Hazel (not Phelps).  I'm still trying to get the streets that run through town straight. 

cc4

Was that the one in the basement where they served the food under a dome?  I also ate at the Ringside on the corner of Phelps and Commerce (and sometimes at the Italian close by the Chinese place).  I think the outdoor dining area for Cedars is there now.  I used to walk downtown after classes at YSU to pick up a quick lunch before going to work. 

Towntalk

Why is it that whenever you go to a Chinese restaurant you not only get huge portions of your meal but they welcome placing the leftovers into containers for you to take home at no charge.

I've yet to dine at one that this wasn't the case, and the meals were wonderful.

Does anyone remember the Hong Kong Restaurant the use to be on South Phelps Street across from City Hall? Their meals were fantastic and the atmosphere was great.

cc4

I think the Dragon Palace serves the best Chinese food in town--try their soups and General Tso's  and vegetable anything.  The portions are generous and reasonably priced--especially the luncheon offerings (I can no longer get a full order without taking half of it home).  It's the only place I eat Chinese.  I'm glad to hear they're not abandoning the south side. 

jay

The exterior of the Dragon Palace Chinese Restaurant on South Avenue is going to be repainted.  The owner is showing confidence in the south side of the city in spite of current economic conditions. 

Note: Ten south side eateries have closed in the last two years.