News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Masonic Temple on Wick Avenue

Started by jay, January 02, 2008, 09:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

OK, I had a chance to look at the plans and photos today.  There are 2 lodge rooms--each with mezzanine seating--above the ballroom pictured above.

So, the floors of the building lay out something like this:

Roof
Mezzanine to second lodge room
Fourth floor - second lodge room
Mezzanine to first lodge room
Third floor - first lodge room
Mezzanine to ballroom
Second Floor - Ballroom
First floor - Banquet Hall
Basement
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The first floor space was off the lobby heading east.  The room had a small wood floor in the center and a carpeted area to the north and south end.  A small stage was along the north wall.  A commercial-style kitchen in the next room east opened onto this larger room.  I was told that the wood floor was retained for dancing.

northside lurker

Quote from: jay on January 05, 2008, 06:18:08 AM
For First Night Youngstown, only the main floor and second floor venues were open to the public.   On which floor was the third large room?
Please post the photos if you get permission.

From the plans, I don't recall a large room on the first floor. ???  I'll have to check Monday.

Quote from: Towntalk on January 05, 2008, 10:38:09 AM
Are they seriously thinking of moving into a new building, and if so, what would happen to the old one? It would be a dirty shame if it was left to rot like so many of the other downtown buildings. There was a lot of Youngstown history in that building that should be preserved. Just because a building is 100 years old doesn't mean that it should be torn down. If that were the case then the old Rayen School across the street from the Masonic Temple would also be demolished.
I'm not sure of the whole story, but I think our involvement with THIS building is unrelated to the possible new one.  Remember, we just restored the terra cotta cornice on this one, so I don't think the owners plan on leaving it to rot.

Any word as to where they are looking to build a new building?
Even if I did remember, :D I wouldn't be at liberty to say.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Are they seriously thinking of moving into a new building, and if so, what would happen to the old one? It would be a dirty shame if it was left to rot like so many of the other downtown buildings. There was a lot of Youngstown history in that building that should be preserved. Just because a building is 100 years old doesn't mean that it should be torn down. If that were the case then the old Rayen School across the street from the Masonic Temple would also be demolished.

Any word as to where they are looking to build a new building?

jay

For First Night Youngstown, only the main floor and second floor venues were open to the public.   On which floor was the third large room?
Please post the photos if you get permission.

northside lurker

We are the architects in charge of the terra cotta restoration of the Masonic Temple.  As part of the job, we were given copies of the original drawings for the building. (Unfortunately, they aren't that clear because of the condition of the original blue prints.) We also took pictures of the interior--for reference--for a possible new Masonic Temple we might be doing in the future.

I say all that for 2 reasons.
1. The large room pictured above is the LEAST ornate of the 3 large rooms in the building.

2. Would anyone here like me to try to get permission to post the drawings and/or pictures we have?
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

In your travels you might check at the public library for some photos of the Masonic Temple. Also you might check with the Mahoning Valley Historical Society.

jay

A swimming pool and bowling alley used to be in the basement of the Masonic Temple.  The pool was eventually filled in and the area divided into meeting rooms.

I asked if there were any pictures of the pool.  I was told that the man who probably had them passed away and his children discarded the photos.

Towntalk

I know that there was a billiard room down there. My Grandfather use to go down there once in a while. He was a Mason, and at one time was Grand Master in Phillipsburgh, Pa. They had several tables there.

jay

One of the venues for First Night Youngstown was the second floor ballroom of the Masonic Temple on Wick Avenue.  A photo is posted below.  The ballroom was carpeted in later years as ballroom dancing declined. (Maybe Dancing With The Stars will revive this form of dancing)  A stage is located at the east end and the former ballroom has two rows of seats along the walls and the back.

Does anyone know what used to be in the basement of this building?