News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

10 Commandments of Direct Mail Fundraising:

Started by Frank Bellamy, MAP Masters of Applied Politics, September 18, 2007, 06:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I have only three sources that I turn to for local candidates:

1. The League of Women Voters publication
2. The Vindicator endorsements
3. The Business Journal

And after comparing the three I vote for the person who best fits my own criteria.

I never attend fund raisers.
Never seek to shake hands with any candidate.
Never allow yard signs.

As for National candidates, I rely on the info from my Web Site.

Towntalk

11th Commandment. Keep your trash can empty and handy for ALL political ads. Don't even waste your time or energy reading them.

12th. When meeting a political hack with his hand out ... "I gave at the office" ... then walk away, because you are telling the truth since your union or trade organization has already given them a hefty sack of your money.

13th. The word of any candidate isn't worth a plug nickle. They are all without exception congenital liars. Verify before you believe anything they say and be sure to get it down in writing in front of a notary public and seven witnesses.

14th. When they say "My word is my bond" ... turn and run for your life because they will, without exception say one thing to you, and the very opposite to your grandmother.

Frank Bellamy, MAP Masters of Applied Politics

10 Commandments of Direct Mail Fundraising:

1.   Once you start explaining, you're dead: if the donor isn't familiar with your issue or candidate, no amount of explanation in direct mail is going to get you a return

2.   Confused people say no: even if your donors know the issues or candidate, you need to spell it out.  Don't confuse them by adding in additional messages or issues.  Give step by step instructions writing to an 8th grade level.  Tell them how to make out the check.  Tell them the deadline.  Put your address on every piece.

3.   People give money to fight enemies, not to make friends: donors give money to save their asses, not because you're wonderful and doing lots of good things.  The appeals that make the most money will almost always generate the most complaints.  Don't read negative mail at your organization because you'll start to feel guilty.  If you start generating direct mail pieces for those that are complaining, 99.99% of your donors will be disenfranchised.

4.   Dead donors don't donate: really look over your list.  Look for words like contributors and donors rather than activists and supporters.  Those are the people that you call to volunteer, not give.

5.   KISS (keep it simple, stupid):  fancy graphics take away from the point of the letter.  Keep words monosyllabic, no more than 15 words to a sentence, no more than 4 lines to a paragraph.  Lots of one line paragraphs.  Use upper and lower case letters mixed to make things stand out.

6.   Nobody ever lost money on a follow-up: at least usually not.  Look for houses on the list that usually give that didn't and gently remind them that you need their help.  This is their second chance.

7.   Follow the formula: Devote page 1 to the involvement device.  Page 2 to the issue.  Page 3 to why this group or candidate can best fight the enemy.  Page 4 to asking for money.  To save money, eliminate the issue; the people on your list should already be sold on it.

8.   Mail it: don't get bogged down looking for the perfect mailing.  Urgency is crucial

9.   You're asking for money, not educating the public: Your number one goal is raising funds.  Education pieces will cost more and bring in less

10.   Make them reach for their pens:  always have an involvement device.  Make the donor complete a poll, sign a petition, etc.  mention the device at least 3 times on page 1, once on pages 2 + 3, and at least twice on page 4.