News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

7th Ward Citizens Coalition host Political Forum

Started by Peggy Gurney, September 23, 2014, 07:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

this was not the case for the issues sponsored by the 7wcc.

Towntalk

My High School debate coach told me:
1. Smack your debate opponent square in the mouth with FACTS
2. Then you slam him/her up against the wall with MORE FACTS
3. Once you got them on the ground you stomp on them with EVEN MORE FACTS
4. NEVER SHOW WEAKNESS, DOUBT, OR HESATATION
5. INSTILL IN THEM HOLY FEAR, NEVER GIVE THEM THE BENEFIT OF DOUBT.
6. Once the debate is done and you've left your opponent a sniveling wreck, shaking with mortal fear, show them just a wee bit of compassion, but leave them to lick their wounds alone.

iwasthere

i say it is all abt having a problem allowing a debate flow without you having the upper hand which way the debate it is going

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

iwasthere

Peggy Gurney

Agreed. It's really unfair to not be able to ask a question. If they're so worried about time constraints, just give the person 30 sec to ask a question, and 30 seconds to respond to the answer.

~ Normal is overrated ~

iwasthere

if questions were allowed to be asked with this issue. we would know the answers. this will be my last 7Th wcc debate i will attd. i enjoy attending new bethel and union baptist chs were all questions are asked for all issues and candidates.

PD

Quick rundown regarding the ward reduction
Chris Travers did an outstanding job, stuck with the facts, figures, benefits and cited examples of other cities for example Columbus has 5 part time council members
Cited use of saved funds for safety forces etc, also said 5 wards no boundaries yet

Anita Davis said this is all a conspiracy theory, politically motivated, there would be less minorities, said that if we have 5 it will be easier to corrupt those 5 with money and favors also a power shift
Didn't really say why having 7 would be a benefit
It's very apparent that the group against this has no platform and will be saying this is a power thing which isn't true

Peggy Gurney

I saw it on WKBN, but they didn't interview anyone. It was just a 1 minuite clip.

~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

Did the media cover this event?  If so, which TV stations were there?

jay

iwasthere

i would like to know what ms. Davis was referring to this charter adm as a conspiracy to obtain power by a certain grp.

Towntalk

Towntalk

What do you have against Miss Davis Jay ... over 30 years with YPD ... a community leader ... a resident of Youngstown?

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: jay on September 24, 2014, 08:25:25 AM
Regarding the SWCC Candidates Forum's redistricting charter amendment presentation

The choice of spokesperson for each side shows that the racial divide is already being framed.

That is not true, because they did not Choose the spokespersons for either side.  They asked for volunteers

Chris Travers volunteered to speak on the Pro side and happens to be white.
The fact that the person who volunteered for the con side happens to be black is simply that way because that is the person who volunteered first.
It is only racial if they CHOOSE to make it racial, which apparently, they are bound and determined to do.

Sad.
~ Normal is overrated ~