News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

MV

Started by ForumManager, May 07, 2014, 01:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

IMHO it is the best free forum application available.  This one has several mods installed.  The theme is an edited version of the default theme and that is because modifications don't always work well on alternate themes.  At one point additional themes were available for members but features weren't always showing on the other themes.

I'll need to go check out urban Ohio!

AllanY2525

Urban Ohio forums use this same software.  I like the look and feel. 

:)

ForumManager

The forum is PHP ... Data is in mySQL...   some javascript here and there.  It is open source and if you click the copyright  link in the footer you  can visit the site. SMF (Simple Machines) is very popular and has a large following.   I like the support system.  I can always find help.

AllanY2525

Hi Maxina,

Just curious (retired programmer here) as to what scripting language(s) the forum
package uses for its scripts?

ForumManager

Hi Folks,

The main MV site is still under construction. I haven't had time to get it back online.  Trying...  The forum is status quo. 

I did install  a classifieds ad  area a few months ago but it is sitting idle.  I'm looking for a couple of people to try it out and let me know if you think it should be included or ditched. We already have a forum area  for classifieds but this particular script is specifically for ads.   http://mahoningvalley.info/directory
This system is directly out of the box and  shows all of the original categories.  I'll probably remove the personals section since I feel that there are enough online dating sites.

On the classified ad's support forum there is discussion that someone is trying to develop a  bridge between SMF forum script and the classifieds so each could use the same log in information... so far it seems this attempt at combining the 2 hasn't been successful.

maxina