News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Old Iron Furnace excavated in Mill Creek Park

Started by jay, April 25, 2004, 12:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IBEW Wireman

I was just browsing this site and stumbled across the BBS.  I remember the YSU team excavating this furnace and would like to make a suggestion to anybody who finds this sort of thing interesting.

While living/working in Boston a few years ago, I made a trip to Saugus, MA (about 1-2 miles north of Boston) and visited the site of the first blast furnace and iron mill in the US.  The blast furnace in Saugus looks almost identical to the one in your picture, and most likely the same as 'Old Jenny'... I'll venture to guess.  The Saugus furnace is under the care of the National Park Service, and I strongly suggest visiting it if you are in the area.

kitten44505

Pioneer Pavilion started out it's life as an iron works so it is truely great that the furnace has been found and will be preserved for the future. The Eaton brothers opened up their iron works there in 1826. When the iron works was closed, Pioneer Pavilion was a part of a lumber mill.

jay

YSU students, under the direction of Dr. John White, are in the process of excavating the remains of a 150 year old iron furnace located next to Pioneer Pavilion in Mill Creek Park.  The furnace was almost completely covered by debris and dirt that had accumulated over the last century and a half.