News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Sales Tax On High School Sports' Tickets

Started by jay, February 19, 2013, 05:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

i have no qualms about that suggestion. i would like to what formula they used for setting ticket prices? 

Towntalk

We are not talking about life's necessities ... we're talking about luxuries. Schools even in Boardman admit that football tickets and for that matter all the other sports do not pay for themselves, so how would a 30 cent tax do any harm. Just look at game attendence ... not a sellout even for winning teams.

Far be it from me to do away with high school sports, but if the schools reduced the base ticket price, then that new tax would not be noticed. Say reduce the base price by 50 cents.

iwasthere

tt and rr those enlighten statements are older then the dirt beneath our feet. i chosed not to adopt children because i too wanted financial freedom. i also vote for taxes to ensure safety nets to couples and inds who are blessed with children with some kind of assistance of any kind for dire times in their lives. how many on this thread know people or they that needed a helping hand from one of the many agencies in our local, st, and federal level.

Towntalk

I wasn't going to weigh in on this topic, but Rick is right. How many home games are there verses away games, and how many families travel to the away games, so if they attend just the home games how would the .30 cent tax be such an odious burdon on the family budget? Think of it this way ... 90% of area families have cable or Dish TV, for cable at least there are two taxes slapped on that service that are higher than the mere .30 cent tax on a handfull of high school sports event tickets. By the way, how many of that 90% are on public assistance?

Rick Rowlands

That is right! We decided a long time ago that we did not want to be burdened with children and instead chose to enjoy life without all that added expense.  Children are one of the greatest drains on a family's wealth, and couple that with popular vices such as alcohol and smoking its no wonder why so many people cannot get out of poverty. 

People with children already get favorable treatment, and they should bear some of the cost for the facilities that are provided for their benefit.

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on February 19, 2013, 07:42:45 AM
Really? People will stay home over 30 cents?

Considering all the public money that goes into supporting sports in this state already, asking for ticket sales to be taxed is not outrageous.
it is easy for you to say because you have two incomes coming into your household without any children.

Rick Rowlands

Really? People will stay home over 30 cents?

Considering all the public money that goes into supporting sports in this state already, asking for ticket sales to be taxed is not outrageous. 

Billy Mumphrey

Some community members refuse to go to current high school varsity events because the average ticket price is 6 dollars. If schools have to pass this tax onto parents  and fans this will hurt attendance as well. I have been told many schools need ticket sales from football and basketball to fund non-revenue sports like track, golf, and bowling. Is this Kasich's way of doing away with high school sports and to shrink school budgets? Is this a push to have community club sports like they have in Europe?

jay

Governor Kasich wants to expand the Ohio State Sales Tax to include the admission tickets to high school sporting events.

:P