News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Tour of Mahoning Valley Steelmaking Sites

Started by Rick Rowlands, July 10, 2012, 11:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Now back in Youngstown, we stopped at the boat dock on West Avenue.  This view is looking downstream with the B&O Station just behind the trees on the right.

Then up onto the Lake Erie and Eastern Railroad viaduct over the river.   Massive bridges!

In Campbell, the Campbell Works ore yard walls still stand.

Low head dam in the Mahoning.  The piers carried a trestle where coke was transported from the coke plant to the blast furnaces.

At Himrod Junction this underpass under the PRR connected the Republic Steel Brown Bonnell Works to the Haselton Works.

Rick Rowlands

Our tour started at the site of the YS&T Hubbard Works.  One of the few remaining structures from the Hubbard furnaces is this bridge over Little Yankee Run. 

The bridge is to the left in this photo.  The pig caster is to the right.

Then we went up to Warren to RG Steel to see the now closed Warren Works.

Carrying on the tradition of the William B. Pollock Co., Reichard Industries is still building hot metal cars.  This partially completed car sits outside Reichard's plant in Niles.

Republic Steel bleeds through the paint on this building at the Niles Works.

Had to stop and say HI to Governor Tod at the McKinley Memorial.

Rick Rowlands

This Sunday I am taking a friend on a driving tour of historic steelmaking sites in the Mahoning Valley.  I have two seats available in the Jeep for anyone interested in tagging along.  We are meeting at 9 am at the Center for Industry and Labor and will take a good part of the day, including stopping for lunch.  Let me know if interested.