News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Paramount progress report

Started by Towntalk, June 10, 2012, 10:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

You folks gotta understand that we old hens are, by our very nature old grouches that live to be as grouchy as we can be, short of tieing tin cans on the tails of puppy dogs and putting thumb tacks on our dining room chairs just before inviting our guests to be seated. My day isn't complete until I have offended at least ten people.

Towntalk

Like my many posts on Youngtown Memories? ??? ???

Peggy Gurney

I like to read old threads, and will continue to do so.   :D
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

I'm in one of my nasty moods --- watching too many paranormal shows and not enough of good music --- before I go to bed tonight, I'm gonna have to watch an Andre Rieu concert so I can dream sweet dreams.

northside lurker

Towntalk, who are you replying to?  Did someone delete a post?  The next to last post was made by you, in 2012.

If you made your statement based on changing "views" numbers, don't bother.  The number of views probably increases over time from Google-bots scouring the internet, not from actual people re-reading it. (though, that is what this site's search function is for; so that real people can search archives  :) )
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

FOR THOSE WHO PERSIST ON READING THIS VERY OLD THREAD, THE PARAMOUNT THEATER HAS BEEN DEMOLISHED AND IS NOW A PARKING LOT, SO YOU ARE JUST WASTING YOUR TIME FOR NOTHING.

Towntalk

westsider, i was just thinking about rain water since from what pictures that are available show that it would be exposed to the weather. I'm not at all familiar with the degree of slope there is, but all indoor movie theaters had sloping floors in the main auditoriums, but since as was pointed out to me that you were correct, I would gather that the floor will be flat to accomadate parking. Sorry I doubted your correct observation old chap.

Towntalk

Thank you and Phil for the update re parking.

Peggy Gurney

This was in the Vindicator today -

YOUNGSTOWN — The board of control signed professional contracts as it moves closer to demolishing the former Paramount Theatre, except its facade, in the city's downtown.
The board today approved a $19,500 contract with Strollo Architects to have the Youngstown firm develop a plan to take down the 94-year-old building, except the front exterior.

"Not saving the facade isn't up for discussion; it's a matter of how to do it," said Charles Shasho, deputy director of the city's public works department.

Also, the board — composed of the mayor, law director and finance director — agreed to hire Brownfield Restoration Group, a Canandaigua, N.Y., company, for $56,028 to supervise the environmental cleanup of the building and make sure the city is in compliance with Clean Ohio Revitalization Fund policies.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/jun/12/paramount-theatre-facade-be-reserved-demolition/
~ Normal is overrated ~

Peggy Gurney

TownTalk, it appears that we stand corrected.

This is the response I got from Phil -

Phil Kidd says - Yes, the portion behind the facade will initially serve as parking lot due to the stipulation of the Clean Ohio grant. However, the Paramount Project design (fundraising portion) calls for the use this space as an outdoor events space as well (Farmers Market, music & movies, outdoor theater, etc). Again, for anyone who is interested in learning more about the project, they can follow on Facebook or they can visit the project's website: http://paramountproject.org/index.html
~ Normal is overrated ~

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on June 12, 2012, 01:00:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Paramount has two basements that are not connected ... one beneath the stage area and one in front, and the utilities are or were located in the front basement. No doubt the center area just has a concrete slab. If that is the case, once the building is down, wouldn't it be much easier to level the area and pour a new slab once they know where utility lines would go. Since the slab slopes down at an angle facing the stage could that be kept in place?

I can't say for sure, but probably not.  There are a couple reasons that come to mind, and I'm too inexperienced to know the right one.  But, one reason, is that the new surface is at the mercy of what's under the old sloped slab.  The existing slab, and any possible sink-holes or flaws under it, becomes part of the "foundation" of the new surface.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

If I'm not mistaken, the Paramount has two basements that are not connected ... one beneath the stage area and one in front, and the utilities are or were located in the front basement. No doubt the center area just has a concrete slab. If that is the case, once the building is down, wouldn't it be much easier to level the area and pour a new slab once they know where utility lines would go. Since the slab slopes down at an angle facing the stage could that be kept in place?

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on June 12, 2012, 10:30:42 AM
One bone of contention. If, parking is allowed, that would put a big crimp in preparing the area that would be used for seating etc., likewise it would hamper the work that would need to be done to the front. The wall that would face the stage would have to be reconstructed ... public restroom refitted a new projection booth, offices and storage space work. If parking were allowed where would the construction equipment be kept not to mention building materials. Finally would public parking be allowed at an active construction site?

Park during the day, and sit at night.

If the architects do the same thing to the back of the Paramount facade that my firm did to the back of Harding HS facade in Warren, they will build a wall that will be easily modified for openings in the future. (if they don't build them in from the start)

And finally, when construction is finally able to start on later phases of the project, the lot would be closed to the public.
--Thomas Edison

Peggy Gurney

I really wish this forum has a "like" feature like the others (vBulletin, Xenforo, IPB, MyBB, etc) do.

We need the ability to like a post!   :o
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

One bone of contention. If, parking is allowed, that would put a big crimp in preparing the area that would be used for seating etc., likewise it would hamper the work that would need to be done to the front. The wall that would face the stage would have to be reconstructed ... public restroom refitted a new projection booth, offices and storage space work. If parking were allowed where would the construction equipment be kept not to mention building materials. Finally would public parking be allowed at an active construction site?